Prologue: Safie's background

*A/N this is more of a prologue than an actual chapter so it's relatively short. The rest of the chapters are much longer!*

The few years of my life have been eventful to say the least. I'm 21 now and I graduated university with a degree in biomedical sciences. I've always been very academically driven with a particular love for biology and chemistry.

Outside of my academic skills, I've always had what my mum called "a gift". Basically, a very long story short, I can read minds. I always have been able to and I didn't understand what it was at first. In order to do it I have to be in the same room as said person and I either have to be looking directly at them, or some kind of physical connection. And luckily it's not constant and I can choose when to do it, so I rarely do. She died when I was 17 and I never exactly saw my ability as "a gift" like my mother had always claimed, but either way I was always taught to keep it a secret. I thought I'd managed to keep it relatively hidden but I guess I was wrong because one day when I was out walking in London I was kidnapped.

By Hydra.

For just over three months they tortured me. Made me their guinea pig.
I was poked and prodded, beaten, tied down whilst they fired electricity through my head, interrogated and injected with various formulas.

I know what you're thinking, no they did not use the "super soldier" serum on me. I guess they already knew how that worked and it got old. With me, I guess they were experimenting with new serums because instead of being super strong and jacked I stayed looking pretty much the same, I definitely wasn't any stronger but I could heal. From anything.

And boy did they test everything. I've been stabbed everywhere, repeatedly, using multiple different tools to do so. I've been shot too, including the heart and the head and I STILL healed, I didn't die. If they didn't remove the bullets, my body would practically spit them out.
Which hurt like a bitch, not that they cared.

During the time there, I spent every waking minute making mental notes of schedules, of guards, of their weaknesses, their strengths. Until finally, I saw my opportunity and I took down the two guards in front of my room, seized their weapons and managed to shoot my way out. I have never ran so damn fast for so damn long in my life.

They were keeping me in Germany, which I discovered after I escaped since I know very little German and I was getting a lot of strange looks from locals when I was trying to explain that I was in trouble.
To cut a long story short, I made it back to London in December 2020, just before my 21st birthday and I've been coming to terms with this whole unkillable thing since.

I'd told my family and friends that I was at a spontaneous spiritual retreat for three months and we weren't allowed our phones or contact with the outside world. Thankfully, they know me well enough to know that I do make some weird decisions and I'm very impulsive, so they believed me.

Just after my 21st birthday, I was just at my apartment alone, when someone knocked at my door. I was immediately on edge since usually if anyone wants to get to my door they have to buzz through on the intercom but that never went off. So I grabbed a knife, before tiptoeing over and opening the door.
To none other than Tony Stark.
You know the "genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist".
Yeah that guy.

He basically said to me that he knew of my abilities and he wanted me to come to New York, join The Avengers and live in the compound with him and some of the others.

Admittedly I laughed in his face, which he didn't take too kindly to. He promised that I'd be safe and 'I could be a part of something bigger'. He said that he knew of what Hydra had done to me and he also knew about my mind reading capabilities, but told me that I should keep the mind reading a secret in case we ever had to use it on the team.

Which I thought was pretty fucked up.

After much persuasion and me realising that I didn't actually have a choice, I packed up some of my things that I refused to leave without and flew out to New York to join the team.

That was in January 2021, it's now September. So I've been here for eight months.

I've honestly loved being here so much. My family knows where I am and why (with exception to the whole torture-hostage part), but my friends think I'm still in the UK. I think it's safer if minimal people know who I am now.

Everyone at the compound is so amazing! Although it's a bit of a circus with so many people living here. There's me , Tony, Pepper and Morgan Stark, Sam Wilson, Wanda Maximoff, Peter Parker, Natasha Romanoff, Dr. Bruce Banner, Vision, Steve Rogers, James Barnes and Clint Barton.

I'm being combat trained by Nat, James and Steve, which is intense but I've really enjoyed learning how to defend myself and actually fight back.
It helps that all three of them are ridiculously hot.

I've become closest to Peter, Nat and weirdly enough, James. He's not the warmest of the group to say the least but we've been through similar shit so I guess that's where we connected. We both get nightmares a lot, so usually end up talking in the kitchen / living room when neither of us can sleep. He's really starting to open up to me, it's taken months but getting to know him has been incredible and he's actually such a gentleman.

I guess you can't beat a trauma bond?

I've met some other people that don't live here, through missions, Stark's obnoxious parties and boring ass meetings. So far I've met Scott Lang, Dr. Stephen Strange and Thor Odinson.

Thor is hands down my favourite guy to drink with, he's so funny and weird. He brought Asgardian ale and wine with him last time and boy did we get drunk on that. Sadly I haven't seen much of him since then as he's been on Asgard, I think, but he is on the compound's group chat which is always entertaining to say the least.

I think that's pretty much everything summed up so... on to present day?

———— don't forget to vote and comment <3 ———-