Picnic

I wake suddenly in a cold sweat. Groaning, I lean over to check the time on my phone and see it's only 4:00am. Fucking bullshit.
My mind still racing after the nightmare, I rip myself from my bed and trudge downstairs, resigned to the fact I wasn't getting any more sleep.

I got into the kitchen to make some coffee and just as I'm pouring myself a cup I hear a piercing scream coming from Bucky's room, making me jump and I end up pouring scalding coffee all over my hands.

"Fuck!" I shout, muffling it by biting my arm.

I abandon the cup and run straight to Bucky's room.

As I open the door I see him tossing and turning in bed, covered in sweat and pleading for his life in his sleep. My heart breaks seeing him like this, knowing first hand how terrifying it all was.
I run over to his bed, sit next to him and start stroking his hair.

"Hey Buck... shhh... it's okay, it's okay... you're safe, baby you're safe..." I whisper, my voice cracking as I try not to cry.
He bolts upright, frantically looking around the room.
"Hey, hey it's okay! Bucky it's okay, you're safe." I say gripping his hand.
He looks at me, his blue eyes still wide with fear and hazy with sleep. It takes him a few seconds to realise where he was and who was sitting with him. When he does he hugs me so tight, trembling.

"Shhh.... It's okay, I promise, you're okay, you're safe now..."
He looks up at me, tears streaming down his face and I break.
"Oh baby no..." I whisper as I cup his cheek, wiping away his tears.
"Safie... I'm sorry, you shouldn't see me like this." He chokes in between his tears, making my eyes water too.
"Hey shut up with that, I'm here, just know I'm here." I pull him to my chest as we lay down, stroking his hair and face as he calms down.

"I'm so sorry, did I wake you up?" He mumbles into my chest.
"No, I was already wide awake and making a coffee, you did make me jump though." I say with a soft laugh.
"Hmm? What time is it? Why were you awake?"
"It's probably like 4:30 now, I was awake for the same reason." I reply, kissing him on the top of his head.
"Oh I'm sorry Doll, are you okay?" He asks, his voice laced with concern.
"I'm okay, I was just pissed at the lack of sleep." I laugh and I feel him smile.
"Thank you..." he whispers and I just pull him in closer.

We lay there for a couple of hours in each other's arms just talking and generally comforting each other, then Bucky's alarm goes off making us both jump.

"Buck... why is your alarm set for 6am?!"
"I like to get up before everyone else so I can have my coffee in peace before I go on my run." He says with a small smile. "You can join me on my run if you want?"
"Fucking hard pass. I don't run Buckaroo." I say way too quickly and we both start laughing. "I will, however, gladly join you for the coffee. Considering you interrupted mine earlier."
He nudges me in the ribs playfully before we both go down into the kitchen.

As we get to the kitchen we see the mess I'd made earlier, the coffee all over the side and floor from where I'd burned myself, the cup knocked over from me quickly running to Bucky and the pot of coffee left abandoned on the side.
"Told you that you made me jump." I shrug and he laughs whilst he helps me clean it up.

He makes a fresh pot of coffee, pouring himself a cup and as he goes to pour one for me I shake my head, reaching for the apple juice instead.
"I'm so exhausted Buck, I'm fully gonna try and go back to sleep when you go for your run." I say rubbing my eyes.
"Weren't you literally about to drink coffee at 4 o'clock this morning?"
"Yes... that was before cuddles. Cuddles make me sleepy." I smile at him and he smiles back warmly.
"You're adorable." He mutters, shaking his head.
"Did you forget I literally beat the shit out of you yesterday James?" I laugh and he glares at me, making me laugh even more.