Drunk words, sober thoughts

"You can't honestly think you deserve her?!" I hear Bucky shout from across the room. All of us at the bar immediately standing up.
"And you truly can't believe you'd be the better choice?" Loki laughs cynically.

"Fuck sake." I groan, making my way over to them.

"Anyone would be a better choice compared to you. You're a psychotic killer." Bucky growls.
"Maybe so. But I'd rather that than be a brainwashed killer. Let's see shall we? How many have you killed James? All those years of solitude and service, I see a lot of red in your ledger." Loki snarls.
Bucky curls his hands into a fist, raising his left in the hair as Loki just grins at him, a green glow flickering at his fingertips.

"Enough!" I yell, stepping between them just as Bucky swings.
The next thing I know I'm in the air, being pushed aside to the nearest wall.

"You could've hit her!" Loki shouts. "I never took you for a man of intelligence Barnes, but that was a whole other realm of stupidity!"
Bucky grabs Loki by the throat with his metal arm, lifting him into the air.

"Bucky stop!" I yell as I watch Lokis eyes begin to bulge.

Bucky swings for Loki with his other hand, his fist connecting to his jaw with a sharp crack.

I cry out as Lokis head tilts to the side and he spits out some blood onto the floor before a bloody grin forms on his face as he looks back at Bucky.

Lokis hands clench into fists, sparks of green forming.

Seconds later, Bucky drops Loki, crumpling to his knees clutching his head.

"Ever wondered what an aneurysm would feel like in slow motion Barnes? Let me enlighten you." Loki grins wickedly as Bucky starts to yell in pain.

"Loki!" I scream.

I look around the room for help and notice everyone is frozen exactly into place, mid dance, mid sip, mid cigarette.
Lokis frozen everyone.

"Please. Stop." I sob.

"I told you pet. My patience was wearing thin." Loki snarls, barely even looking at me as Bucky screams on the ground.

"You've made your point now Loki, stop. You're killing him!" I yell through my tears.

"Good."

I watch in horror, helpless as Bucky screams in agony on the floor. Slowly becoming more and more disgusted by the smirk on Lokis face.

"Brother!" Thor yells, breaking free and instantly launching mjolnir at Lokis gut.

Loki thuds to the floor with a grunt, pinned down.

"Release everyone brother. Now." Thor warns as he helps Bucky to his feet.

As everyone instantly snaps back, Thor grabs Steve and tells him to get Bucky to his room.
As Steve struggles to drag his semi-conscious best friend away, Thor walks over to where I'm slumped on the floor.

"Are you alright?" Thor asks softly, placing his hand on my shoulder. I say nothing, staring with tear filled eyes at Loki, still pinned to the floor by mjolnir.

"Oh lady Safie.." Thor soothes, helping me to my feet and pulling me to his chest. "I'm sorry my brother is such a complete fool." He whispers, stroking my hair as I sob.

"Why... why would he do that Thor? He could've killed him..." I mumble.

"I know... but he didn't." Thor says softly, trying to reassure me.

"Only because you stopped him!" I yell, now turning to face Loki. "What the actual fuck is wrong with you?!" I snarl at him.

"He... deserved it..." Loki wheezes under mjolnir.

"What because he was drunk and hurt your ego he deserved to be tortured?! Do you not think he's been tortured enough? I - no. You know what, I have nothing to say to you." I growl before walking away.

"Saf... please, wait!" Loki struggles to shout but I ignore him completely and keep walking.

I stand hidden away in a corridor, sobbing and hyperventilating as I slowly slide down the wall. My mind completely reeling.

"Let. Me. Go." I hear Loki snarl at Thor. I peek around the corner and watch as he slowly removes the hammer from Lokis gut.

Loki rages and tries to run in the direction of where Steve took Bucky.

Thor grabs Lokis arm, yanking him down onto the sofa.

"Stop this." Thor warns sternly.

"Thor. Are you seriously defending this pathetic excuse for a mortal over your own brother?"

"Loki. Leave him be."

"Leave him be? He has done nothing but insult my honour all evening but it is I that must leave  him be?"

"Yes. He is intoxicated and acting foolish. So take it upon yourself to take the high road. For once."

"Ah yes. No surprises there. My brother, once again choosing his friends over his family."

"Loki will you just cease in this ridiculousness?"

"Of course, brother. Leave. Go and check on your friend. Norns forbid you actually choose your family over Midgardians." Loki seethes.

"Do you not see that putting an end to this is choosing you?" Thor sighs loudly.

"How did your small mind reach that conclusion?"

"What would have happened had you seriously injured or even killed James?"

"What does that matter?"

"What does it matter? Loki for someone who claims high intelligence. You do not think. James is your girlfriends best friend, Steve's best friend and a much loved companion of the rest of them. You kill or hurt him you think any of them would forgive you? You truly think your girl would ever look at you again? You would lose your place here, your friends and your love. So yes. Me stopping you is me choosing you."

Loki stays silent for a long while, glaring up at his brother.
Thor eventually squeezes his shoulder before walking away from him and into the crowd of oblivious guests.

After a few minutes I walk up to the rooftop of the compound, still shaking.
I rest my arms on the railings and gaze out at the New York skyline.

"Darling..." a voice whispers from behind me.

"Don't." I snap.

"Please Saf, talk to me." Loki pleaded.

I turn around to face him. His arms folded behind his back and his head hung slightly downwards.

"I said, don't." I seethed. "I can't believe - well, actually no I can. I can believe you did that Loki because you just can't help yourself can you?! I spent weeks convincing everyone here that you weren't a villain and for what?"

Loki says nothing for a moment, just looks at me with misty eyes.
"I'm -"

"I don't want to hear it." I cut him off. "I'm going to go and check on Bucky. Just leave me alone." I growl, marching past him.