Chapter 8

After waiting for a few hours, the doctor named Emmit comes to the waiting room and says to Mavis and Dracula, "Okay, good news, the surgery went well, but he will have to stay here for a while."

"Is he awake?" Mavis asked.

"No he is still asleep and we should let him rest. You can see him tomorrow. Just say who your here for and they'll let you in." Mavis and Drac leave. By then, it is night time.

When they arrive at the hotel room, Ericka asks them if Dennis is okay. Mavis says, "Yes, we can check on him tomorrow."

When everyone goes to bed, Mavis notices Winnie was not in bed. Then she says, "Winnie, I know you aren't used to sleeping at night but..."

"Oh, it's not that, Mavis." Winnie interrupts. "I was just thinking, Izza's dream about Dennis came true. Now I'm worried mine will too. He never zinged with me yet, And if he actually dies, I don't know what to do."

"Listen Winnie," Mavis says. "I know he hides his feelings from you. He believes he's too young. Maybe he is trying to take it slowly. I'll tell you what, you can stay with Dennis and take care of him while his leg heals. What do you say?" Winnie got excited and accepted the offer. Then she and Mavis went to bed. It took them a while before they fell asleep.

The next morning, everyone goes to the hospital to see Dennis. When the desk clerk gives the room number, Winnie runs to the room and sees Dennis with his leg elevated. "Hey, Winn." Dennis smiles.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" She asks. "Better than yesterday but it still hurts." Dennis groans. "I guess my dream is now down in the dumps."

"Dennis, it's okay. I feel bad for you, but I want you to know, whether you're a soccer player or not, you're still special to me."

Dennis smiles. "Thank you Winnie, you're a one in a million." They look at each other for a while before leaning in closer for a kiss. Before their lips touch, the others walk in and Izzabeth says, "Dennis eww! What are you doing?"

They look back and he says, "Wait, No, it's not that, uh we were just uh, talking to each other quietly. It's not what you think."

"You're lucky Dad wasn't there to catch you two doing that." Willie says. "Don't worry I won't tell him." Then everyone laughed.

Dennis got to talk with everyone for a little bit until Jack walked in and gave him the game ball. Dennis didn't want to take it since he had 3 already. Then Jack said, "Go ahead, take it, we are all thinking about you. Have you checked Twitter? Literally, lots of people are sending out thoughts and prayers to you, hoping for a speedy recovery."

"What good would a recovery do Jack?" Dennis says upset. "I'm on a boot for 3 months and the doctors won't let me play again because they think I'll hurt myself more. Do you know how hard it is to lead your team to the national championship and miss it? I had it all Jack, but what good am I now?"

"Dennis, I'm sorry you can't play again," Jack says, "but it wasn't just you who took us there, we all did it together. But you brought the light to the team. You helped turn us from the worst PAC-12 team to the best. You showed us things we never knew about. You helped make me more than a goalkeeper. And you only lost soccer. You still have your friends, your family, your girlfriend, all those good things in life. So don't feel bad about what happened. There will always be something else out there to do, you just need to overcome this obstacle right now."

Dennis was filled with tears. So was Mavis and Willie, but then Willie said to himself, "No, wait, werewolves don't cry. Cut it out William!"

"Thank you Jack." Dennis smiles. "I didn't know how much impact I had with them."

"Remember pal, if you need me, I'll help you." Jack says, then he walks out of the room.

"We're here for you too Dennis." Johnny said. "I wish you guys didn't have to leave." Dennis said. Then Mavis responds, "Actually, Winnie will stay with you."

Drac didn't like this and he yells, "What?! Then who will take her place?"

"Don't worry Dad, we will find someone." Mavis laughed.

"Don't worry, my zing," Winnie said as she kissed his hand. "I promise I won't ever leave you."