Chapter 5: Strange sensations

Max brought a group of women who would train with us, or at least right here. One of them, perhaps the leader, came with Sirius. She introduced herself as Tania and strangely looked at all of us. She looked strong, and I liked that somehow.

They made us memorize a couple of floor plans. I saw there were censored areas, and Max explainer they probably had others like me in those rooms. It was rare that information was kept even from him, so he was indeed right. He said he had always trained with mannequins or machines. However, not long ago, he discovered that some secretly trained with real EH, and when we appeared, we corroborated that.

When they showed us pictures, different memories that only lasted milliseconds came to my mind: The walls, the color, the smells, but nothing more. Another fleeting image of a black-eyed human was present, but, like the others, it didn't seem to be very important, except for the slight tremor I felt on my skin.

They gave us cell phones which, according to them, were used to communicate. They taught us how to use them and explained how important they were in emergencies.

I had done well with the brothers who always accompanied me, Alpha and Centauri. Both with black hair and blue eyes, they worked perfectly as a team. With synchronized movements, there was no way to take down one without the other counterattacking first. They were more muscular than me, so their strength was twice mine. However, it was difficult for them to learn fighting techniques, like me. Despite that, we remained serious and willing. We knew the basics, and it was we had already forgotten after what the humans did to us.

Sirius was different. Each fall brought out his occasional laugh. How could he be so calm? But even though he was willing to play always, he was overly aggressive with the mannequins that Max made us "kill" at times. Someone had trained him, someone of our species, without much ethics, since biting and tearing off parts of the body was a thing of the exiled savages, not of decent citizens. That was latent in my memory, like many other rules.

I knew I was not going to immobilize him in a real fight so that I couldn't underestimate him. I woke up and was here precisely because I had not been able to kill him while in that lethargy.

I set out to beat these three men of my kind to prove myself, even if it took time. Despite everything, I was beginning to trust them. I couldn't help but wonder if I was ever as lively as Sirius or was on a team like the brothers.

"You are young and strong. You should learn to kill like everyone else."

Those words left as fast as they came. I blinked quickly, confused.

The curly girl was with her friend, watching me from a distance. As always, I just looked at her and did nothing else, even though she greeted me. She had made me smile, barely, but she had when she insisted on healing me despite the fact that it wasn't necessary. That was why I turned to see her askance without her noticing so as not to seem rude.

Tania interrupted my thoughts when she began to insist Sirius fight with her, as he refused, perhaps because he was nice, I approached her.

"You can fight me if you like," I suggested.

She smiled, and her eyes swept me up and down.

"Sure, cutie." A strange feeling ran through me. "Show me your techniques."

She jumped and spun without warning, giving a kick that I dodged on sheer impulse. I hit her leg, and she fell to the ground, letting out a gasp, then laughed a little. She was tough. I smiled at that without being able to help it. She jumped to her feet and threw a punch at me, I stopped her arm without problems, and with a quick movement, I ended up turning her around, imprisoning her against my body.