Chapter 35: The vicious cycle of death

Acrux's POV

I wanted to growl and lunge at the man, but I preferred to keep my composure.

"I must admit that we have been taken by surprise. I didn't think you would come so soon. Didn't you think we'd be waiting for you?

"Yes, indeed."

"You've seen what we have here. Now give me that phone," he ordered, aiming a gun at me.

I took off my helmet, letting him see my look of contempt.

"No," I said. He frowned further and threatened to pull the trigger. "You won't shoot. You still want to put me under your control, don't you?

"Or I might want to watch you slowly suffer to death. I know the ways."

He pulled out some kind of remote control.

"As always, wanting to use my kind so as not to dirty your hands. But you're wrong. All of you are just as tainted as we are."

"Shut up. Beasts like you are only good for this."

A large group of controlled evolved men arrived.

"Max, don't get in," I said.

But it was late. The alarms began to sound. The electrical barrier had been deactivated, and it seemed to have its own warning system.

"Kill everyone who enters!" Hector yelled, running away.

I growled and lunged to catch him, but an EH got in the way while the others carried out his order. The evolved one ran to attack me, and I received him with the blow of an ugly metal tray from one of the tables.

I wasn't interested in losing time with him, so I sped off. He chased me, but I didn't care. In the main hall, an unfair fight was taking place between controlled EH and men, albeit with weapons, outnumbered by Hector's people.

I saw him, along with another of the men I knew, being guarded by two evolved men. I ran to them, noticing that Impala was also furious. The men saw us and fell back as our brethren moved to defend them. Impala, being closer to him, arrived earlier and attacked one of the EH, aimed his weapon at him, and with an impulse, I threw a knife, taking the gun away. Impala growled at me.

"Remember, he's under control!" I claimed.

"He's getting in my way!" And he was rammed.

They fell close to the other subject, separating him from Hector and beginning their fight between grunts and claws. I was also hit the second after I saw Alpha nearby, but a punch to the stomach knocked the air out of me. I growled wildly and bit, blood leaking from my mouth. The other's claws cut the skin of my neck and part of my shoulder. I kneed him and kicked him away.

Alpha dodged a shot from Hector, lunged at him, and ripped the pocket of his garment with the controller inside. He threw it at me, and I shot it in the air. I lowered my arm and fired the gun Hector was using to aim at Alpha.

"Stay there!" I yelled, putting myself between them and pointing at the wretch who had injured my friend.

The controlled EH came to their senses. Hector's men looked scared, not knowing whether to continue attacking Max's or target our kind for protection.

"Attack the humans!" Impala ordered.

"No!" I interjected. He looked at me and growled, but I ignored him and went to speak to the others. "You are free! Don't behave like they think we are! They think we are beasts, but it is not like that! They want to dominate us because they fear us, because it makes them feel safe, and because they know that we are stronger! It's over!"