We Meet Again

As she pushed the door open, she was greeted with familiarity; the dimness, crowd, smell, the atmosphere of the very same Bar she went to the night before she started her internship over five years ago. Having the night for herself, pausing her responsibilities, she contemplated on what to do after walking out of her house. She thought of getting into a Starbucks to get herself a nice cup of coffee but brushed it off right away, thinking that she will be inducing lots of it when she will start her not really a new job at the not really new place. It was in Seattle Grace Hospital but was now Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital. Over five years ago, at the very same hospital, she was starting as an Intern, the very bottom of the food chain, but now, she was starting as an Attending of General Surgery.

Even being afraid of running into people she knew, she found herself calling a cab earlier and drove her to Joe's Bar. Dragging herself towards the very end of the counter where she hoped no one would recognize her, at least she wished not yet, she placed her phone and wallet on top of the counter as a very familiar kind man with the warmest smile approached her.

"You look awfully familiar. Have you been here before?" he asked her.

She smiled at him, recognizing his question, almost the same exact question he asked her before. "The first time I was here, I met a guy," she said, testing his memory, "and the last time was... I literally begged him to pick me over someone." Flicker was in his eyes, signaling he remembered her somehow, "And yes. That turned out well." she added, sarcastically. Talking about what happened was new to her, at least from the last five years. After deciding of coming back, she knew she would eventually talk about it anyway, so why not start tonight.

"Meredith Grey, you've aged!" He reacted, "Still straight tequila?"

She grinned at him and nodded, flattered that he remembered her full name and her drink preference, "Hi, Joe! Remember me?"

Pouring her a shot, "How could I not? Your friends were talking about you all the time. You disappeared. They even suggested of calling the cops to find you."

She laughed. She knew her friends were worried about her disappearing just like that but she also knew they understood the cause of it. Guilt filled her with what she did to them but she wasn't sorry, especially when going away seemed like the right thing to do around that time.

After her ninth shot, she started to feel fuzzy. Her body wasn't like before, used to tolerate countless shots, not caring if she could get herself home or who she get herself home with. But it was different now, her situation was different. Even her lifestyle, home arrangement, everything has changed. She doesn't hate it. In fact, she loved it. She loved it so much she wouldn't trade it with anything in the world. Yes, it was exhausting but it made her happy, it was the only source of happiness she had in her life as of the moment, except in fact doing surgeries.

Not wanting to overwhelm herself with that thought or wherever her thoughts were going, she pushed herself against the counter to get off the stool, signaling Joe she was just leaving to go to the bathroom to freshen up, not wanting to end the night yet. And when she came back, sitting on the same stool, she found herself hearing the voice she had been dreading to hear for five years.

"Joe, Single malt scotch, please."

She went frozen. His voice was the same, deep, raspy. And in annoyance, it still sent chills through her spine. Suddenly, she doesn't want to be there. All she thought was to just tell him that to get it over with and leave him to make a decision. But no, it wasn't easy, although she knew it will never be easy. She was not ready. Not ready to see him, not ready to tell him. She thought she was, but you would never know you were ready until the moment happens, and clearly, she was not, not in any way near it.

Suddenly, she doesn't want to be there anymore. But it was too late. Her wallet and phone were on top of the counter, in front of her and he was sitting beside her. All she could think about was how stupid of her leaving them behind to go to the bathroom and wash up. But she knew he hasn't noticed her yet, so she planned on getting her things, pay and sneak out. But again, it was too late. She looked up at Joe staring at them dumbfounded. And she noticed him shifted from his seat, looking at the person beside him, her.

"Meredith..." he said, hearing the surprise in his tone.

She too was surprised even if she already saw it coming. Gathering all her courage to look back at him, she inhaled an amount of oxygen. And there they were, his deep blue eyes that pierced through hers. She wasn't sure but ever since, there was something in them, something that will just make her drawn to him more than she ever could. His eyes read a thousand books that would possibly take her anywhere.

"Meredith..."

She heard him say her name again and that brought her back to where she was at the moment.

"Meredith, breathe," he commanded, not leaving his eyes at hers.

And just as he commanded, she released the breath she wasn't sure she was holding for God knows how long, "I hmm... I... Hey!" she stuttered, cursing at herself mentally for acting like an idiot.

Before he could respond, her phone rang suddenly that made her more flustered. Checking the time real quick, she wondered why would she was getting a call when she was supposed to be in bed already. Answering, she heard cries on the other line and that answered her question, "Calm down," she encouraged but cries were still audible, "Sweetie, I'm coming home. I'll be there in 15 minutes." And that being said, the cries stopped abruptly.

Releasing another deep breath, completely aware of his presence beside her, she dug out few dollars from her wallet to pay for her drinks.

"Are you driving?" Joe asked her.

She was drunk. She knew she was drunk. But she also knew she can take herself home.

"Don't have a car yet. I'm calling a cab," she replied to worried Joe, dialing the operator's company on her phone.

"I'll take you home." he offered, taking her phone and wallet from her, as he took her elbow, dragging her out of the Bar.

"Derek." she protested, swinging her arm to be freed from his grip, "I can take myself home."

"You're drunk."

"And don't you think I don't know that?" she rolled her eyes at him in annoyance as she thought it wasn't supposed to be like this. This wasn't supposed to happen. At least, not yet.

"That's why I am driving you home." he insisted, taking her hand again, walking them both towards where his car was parked.

"That's why the cabs are there," taking her hand again and she stopped, "and I don't want to talk to you yet," she mumbled out loud, not intended for him to hear.

"Then don't talk. Just sit, put your seatbelt on then drive you home."

And just like that, she gave in.

The 15-minute ride was silent. No one spoke, he did not even turn any music on like he does before. She just sat there, looking outside the car window, thinking if she should be inviting him to her house as it started raining.

As they pulled over her driveway, she heard him sigh.

"I... uuhmm..." she started, having no clue what she was about to say.

"You're home," he said, unsure if he was saying it metaphorically or just literally.

"I am," she replied, fidgeting her knuckles on top of her lap, "Derek, would you like to come inside for a cup of coffee?"

She could see his hesitation in his eyes and wondered why he was hesitating. But then he smiled, indicating that he was okay with it.

As they both ran towards her front door, she took her keys from her pocket and started to unlock the door, "I'd like you to meet someone," she said whispering, unsure if it was the right thing to do.

"Someone?" he asked.

As the door opened, a little girl came running towards her, "Mommy," she uttered, raising both of her hands for Meredith to carry her.

"You have a daughter," Derek said, more of a statement than a question.

"We have a daughter." she corrected him, shutting her eyes, not wanting to see his reaction to what she just blurted out.