Part 2--Chapter 11

Dallas Auditorium--December 31, 1989

Laughter trickled into his thoughts and Nate was aroused from the past, overwhelmed by a pain so keen it constricted his chest with sorrow, guilt. Laughter reminded him of Blythe and he could no longer repress those memories as, ghostlike, they took control of his mind and filled his heart with anguish.

Restless, he left the protectiveness of the alcove he'd cloistered himself in to investigate. Was the laughter hers? Had she come to haunt him... to force him to remember? Again, he heard it and was led to an area beneath the stage where a curtain separated it from the orchestra pit. Pulling aside the heavy maroon drape, he peered into the auditorium and was able to hear the indistinct buzz of female voices followed by shrill giggles.

Even before spotting the cleaning women in the balcony, preparing for the night's concert, he knew it was not Blythe. Blythe had been earthy and ethereal at once, never strident. Disappointment weighted his soul. He would have gladly welcomed her spirit. So many things he could have told her, needed to atone for if either was ever to rest in peace.

Thunderclaps roared across the sky in succession like the laughter of some mighty god mocking him and a shiver ran up his spine. He released the curtain, letting the folds fall into place.

"All right, Blythe," Nate said aloud, "it's time."

Boards creaked overhead as someone moved about the stage, their steps quick, scurrying. Instinctively, Nate knew it was Eddie on the prowl. Quietly, he stole back to the sanctuary of the alcove and sat, resting his head against the dusty wall. A cobweb fell across his face and clung to his lash. I've come a long way, he reflected scornfully, brushing at the web.

"Be careful what you want," Blythe had warned. The words haunted him. Had he wanted this...any of it?

High piercing laughter rang from the balcony again and the sky broke into its own discourse. All at once, Nate was surrounded by it—laughter and Blythe, one in the same—at least in the beginning.

Tahoe—February 1986

Laughter, deep and throaty, drifted across the cozy dining room of the quaint restaurant. The sound was pleasant, welcoming like the smell of home baked bread that draws a child in from play eager for a warm sample, and Nate felt an uncanny desire to hear it again, to see the woman with the earthy laugh...to sample.

It had been well over a year since the contracts had been signed, putting the wheels in motion that would turn Nathan Wade Stevens into the overnight success J.T. and Chance had counted on. As they'd planned, things went according to schedule. Eddie Vega had somehow become Nate's business manager/agent, with Heathe staying on as road manager...his official title. What he actually did was everything, from dealing with hassles, keeping tabs on Eddie and letting Nate know of any problems with the construction company. A supervisor had been hired to run things in their absence, but the business was still important to Nate and he remained instrumental in its continued growth and success, ensuring the Nash children a profitable company to fall back on, should they ever need it.

Nate's name had not yet become a household word but they were working on it. His third single had just recently reached number one on the country charts, crossing over into the pop charts, climbing quickly to the top twenty. Nate's second video had been released and he was completing his second album. He'd started by opening for Chance Jennings at fairs, concerts, clubs...anywhere the money was right and the exposure good.