Chapter 16

Connie was about to leave for Oaklawn when the jangle of the phone pulled her back into the room.

"Connie, this is Nate. Is Blythe there?"

"Hi, Nate. No. I was hoping she'd be with you. Haven't you seen her or did she chicken out and just leave the note?" Connie heard a deep sigh on the other end and it was seconds before he answered.

"I saw her, but it's a long story. I'll try to make it short. Just promise not to ask any questions until I've finished." The anxiety was clear in his voice as he added, "I've got to find her, Connie. I've got to."

She sat on the bed, expecting the worst. "Let me have it. And don't sugarcoat anything."

Nate told her everything as briefly as he could. "She must have dropped the note when she hit me."

"She hit you?" There was disbelief in her voice then a pause. "Well good for her. I don't blame her!"

"I'm not looking for sympathy, okay? If she hadn't dropped it, I'd still be searching for you. I told her there was no one in my life. That was true. I never said I was a monk. Rene's another story and..."

"Save it! Where is the dear now?" Connie asked cynically.

"I sent her home where she should have stayed. The important thing is I have to find Blythe before it's too late. I was afraid she'd be packed and on a plane by now."

"No, we have a deal. I'll explain later. I'm supposed to meet her at the races. Give me some time, say till about three then meet me at the track around the paddock. I'll find you. Can you make it?"

Nate glanced at his watch. "I'll make it."

#

Connie Bledsoe caught Nate as he was about to approach Blythe who stood in a crowd of people clustered around the paddock watching the horses being paraded before the fifth race. The petite woman rested a small hand on Nate's back and getting his attention shook her head in warning.

"Let's get a drink. We need to talk," she said and leading him from the throng, noticed his eyes stray back in search of Blythe.

Drinks in hand and seated midway up the grandstand, Connie sought to reassure him. "Blythe'll be alright. I know where she's sitting."

"Who's the guy hangin' all over her?" His voice was uneasy, his expression dark.

"Don't look so foreboding. She's not in bed with him and she's not ever going to be." Nate started to defend himself but Connie stopped him. "Listen, we don't have time to go into any long explanations or recriminations. Save them for Blythe. The guy's just some poor slob she picked up. He thinks she's lucky. He's probably just like all the rest and wants to get in her pants. But don't worry. She won't leave with him. She never does."

The stands began to roar as the horses came into the stretch. They both stood to see over the multitude of heads as hoofs trampled the dirt beneath the finish line, neither caring much about the outcome. People milled about then, some leaving to collect their winnings, others to sit in sullen disappointment, while laughter and disgusted moans blended into a hum through the gathering. When the noise died down, Nate and Connie resumed their conversation.

He was skeptical as he asked, "How can you be so positive she's not going to get hooked up with this man?"

Connie laughed. "Because, my dear boy, I've known her my whole life and she simply isn't interested. When she has a few drinks, which by the way she has, she likes to flirt. But the truth is that under it all, she really doesn't give a damn and for some reason, men usually find that irresistible."