Chapter 30

In a joint effort, Heathe and Ma Manford planned a combination party in honor of the newlyweds and Nate's fortieth birthday. By late afternoon, Blythe could not resist the temptation of going over to personally request Claire Stevens' attendance. This, she knew would be the only real gift of any value she could give her husband, peace between the two of them, and it was important to her that she succeed in her quest. Heathe and Ma had both been turned down flat with the customary and emphatic reply of, "not as long as that woman is in the house". But Blythe was resolved to give it one last try, not only for her husband's sake, but for her mother-in-law's as well. Surely, the older woman would never forgive herself if she missed her son's fortieth birthday because of an unrealistic animosity she felt toward his wife.

The air was cool and fresh smelling after the brief spring shower that had blown in and quickly moved on while she and Nate were still on the stable floor. Recalling their unabashed behavior, Blythe felt  heat flood her cheeks as she strolled along the wet path leading to the converted bunkhouse. She realized how right Nate had been in leaving the trees that separated the ranch's buildings. Not only did they add to the aesthetic beauty, but they provided an appreciated seclusion for the occupants.

A light wisp of cloud streaked the yellow-green sky that glowed with the promise of a colorful sunset not far away. Blythe hurried. She hadn't told anyone where she was going and didn't want to get caught out after dark when her absence was sure to be noticed. If she failed in her mission and couldn't convince Mrs. Stevens to come tonight, there was no point in upsetting anyone about it, especially Nate.

Coming into the clearing, Blythe saw a frail Claire standing alone, clinging to the walker that had become her constant companion when not confined to her wheelchair and Blythe knew immediately she was upset.

"Well, I guess you'll do," the older woman said, spying Blythe as she approached then gruffly ordered, "Get me into the house! That silly ninny of a nurse brought me out here then disappeared when she heard the phone ring. Rene should have been here by now. Can't imagine what's keeping her."

"Should I get the nurse?" Blythe asked, fearful of hurting the fragile little woman.

"No, no, just help me into the house. I can't manage that step without help, she ordered, lifting the walker ever-so-slightly to tap against the shallow step not steep enough for a ramp to have been any use.

"What do I do?"

"Get up there and face me. That's it. Now hold my arm while you take this contraption. There, set it on the porch. Lift me with both arms as I step up. That's the hard part. Once I'm there, I can maneuver this thing," she said, bending her head to indicate the metal support system.

Without mishap, Blythe got her mother-in-law onto the porch and the walker positioned beneath her once more. Then whisking the door open, she stood aside and waited for Claire to arduously lumber into the quaint living room of her quarters. Simultaneously, they looked around but the nurse was nowhere in sight.

"Probably upstairs in her room. Been on that phone a lot lately. Got man problems, I reckon. But it's none of my business till she starts neglecting me. Could have fallen out there, and her still jabberin' away. I was too weak to make it to the bench. She should of known better'n to leave me, that's all...she should of known better!"

Claire's agitation was vented in her voice and Blythe could understand why. She shuddered to think what might have happened if she hadn't shown up. Eventually her weak legs, so unaccustomed to holding her weight, would have buckled, given in, and then what? A fall, broken bones?

"Mrs. Stevens, can I get you something...to drink perhaps? A glass of water, anything? I'll be happy to talk to the nurse for you or to Nate. She really should be more responsible."