Chapter 24

Heathe Conners, affectionately known to his immediate friends as Conan because of his tall thickly muscled body, was just rounding a turn on the stairs, wood piled high in his massive arms, his nose and cheeks flushed red from the cold outside, when he almost collided with Blythe but for Nate's quick intervention as he jerked his wife out of the way.

"Damn, I'm sorry," the huge man said breathlessly. Then glancing from one to the other a subtle change came over him. He hadn't expected Nate so early and was clearly taken aback to find Blythe with him, casually coming from the bedrooms as if she owned the place. But there was more than surprise in his expression. It resembled dislike, resentment.

"I can see you haven't talked to Ma yet," Nate said cheerfully. Heathe stood stone still except for the slight shake of his handsome golden head and the almost imperceptible tremor that ran along his jaw. "Heathe, you remember Blythe MacLarren?" Nate asked rhetorically and as his friend nodded he went on rapidly. "She's Blythe Stevens now. We were married in Houston a few days ago."

Distress flooded the cat-green eyes and Blythe's heart went out to him. She felt a need to erase the pain but wasn't sure how. Flashing a brilliant smile, dimples deepening effectively, her voice was sincere when she spoke. "It's good to see you again, Heathe. I'm terribly sorry you had to find out this way. It all happened so fast. Nate, more or less, swept me off my feet and we both agreed it was best not to tell anyone until we came home. I see now how foolish that was. You and Nate have been so close for so long. We should have let you know. I am truly sorry. Really! I guess neither one of us was thinking any too clearly at the time."

He returned a sheepish smile but the eyes remained cautious. "Congratulations," he offered glancing at his friend.

"Come on, Conan, you can't stay perched here on the stairs all night with wood in your arms. Where were you headed...the master bedroom or workroom?" Nate asked gaily, as if subtly enjoying the discomfiture of the other man.

"Actually, I was on my way to one of the guest rooms. I'd thought since it was your first night back, I'd stick around to catch you up on some things...but I'll go on back to—"

"No!" Blythe blurted in sharply and both men turned startled heads in her direction. "Please, don't leave on my account. I'd like you to stay. It would give us a chance to get better acquainted." She grinned rebelliously at her husband. "Besides, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I'd enjoy the company. Weeks alone with this creature, no matter how charismatic, can leave one craving some real companionship and conversation."

"Sweet, isn't she? But you'll get used to her. I did. Kinda grew on me like...well, anyway I can guarantee that you might as well agree to stay, cuz she'll keep after you till she's contrived to get her way," Nate quipped taking some logs from the heavy stack. Turning, he started back up the stairs with Heathe trudging solemnly behind. As an afterthought, he called down to his wife who waited dutifully on the step where she'd been left, "Stay there. We'll be down directly."

Blythe had no intention of going anywhere without Nate and was wondering if they might steal a few moments to discuss her in private. But barely had the thought crossed her mind when they returned, Nate's arm draped about his friends broad expanse of shoulder in a gesture of brotherhood. The two were grinning like boys who had just committed some dastardly deed and gotten away with it. As they reached her, Nate's hand left the shoulder to roughly rub the top of his friend's short blond hair as he'd done since they were kids.

Night and day these two, Blythe reflected as others had before her and she hoped she would be able to win a place in their world and not always be on the outside looking in as she was now. The awareness went through her like a gunshot, no longer an uneasiness, a wary feeling she couldn't put her finger on, but the smarting surety of her situation. The game would be different from now on. Now, they were playing in his court and she was no longer reigning queen of a neutral territory. For the first time, she would be fighting for approval and a position in her husband's life.