Chapter 3

Marybeth and Nate were silent on the way to the Carlson house until Nate, checking over his shoulder saw the lights of his father's car as it pulled into their drive.

"Your dad?" Marybeth asked, seeing the disturbed expression that swept across his face.

"Yep."

"That was nice of your mom."

"What was?"

"You know...letting us get out of there before he got home."

Nate stopped and stared down at her. His mother had been right. There was a soft warm breeze. The moon was full and already high. Marybeth's upturned face reflected light from the corner street lamp a few yards away. He hadn't noticed it before, but her eyes held a world of wisdom in them for one so young. She seemed to notice everything around her with a special understanding. "How did you know that's what she was doing?" he asked.

Marybeth smiled, shrugged her shoulders and continued walking. "I don't know. She...well, she just sounded like everything needed to be back to normal before your father got home. No...that's not it. There was a look she gave you that said a lot more. It was like it had been a really neat evening and she didn't want him to come home and ruin it for you...that maybe it would be nice to give us a little time alone and you a longer reprieve from your dad."

Nate released a long slow whistle and shook his head. "You got all that from a look?"

Marybeth's smile broadened. She could feel Nate watching her as they rounded the corner and made their way up the next block towards her house. She had gone several yards before realizing he'd stopped somewhere behind her.

"What's wrong?" she asked, going back to him.

"Nothin'," he said, flashing his best grin. But Marybeth looked at him knowingly as she met his cloudy gray eyes, forcing him to go on. "It's just that I don't understand. I've never talked to you about my parents or..."

"I doubt you ever talk to anyone about anything personal. You're a real quiet type, Nathan. I don't know exactly myself but...being there in your home, seeing you and your mother together...there were just things. But they show, at least to someone who really wants to know you...who cares."

Unable to read the expression on his face, she felt a warmth rise in her cheeks and knew she was blushing. Averting her eyes, she quickly went on. "So many unsaid things, Nate. But your mom...she's a neat lady and she loves you a lot." Marybeth paused briefly and looked back up into eyes that had not left her face, searching for some sign of what he was thinking. But they were unreadable and she hurried on awkwardly. "I think you love her too, much more than you let on."

Nate churned with several distinct and varied emotions at that instant. The feelings for his mother overshadowed by the ones he felt for Marybeth. Suddenly, he was consumed by the deep heart-rending pangs of first love, blocking reason, impairing judgment. Thought of all else left as he slowly bent his head, his eyes arresting hers. Lightly, Nate kissed her lips, savoring the warmth of her breath, the flutter of her eyelids as they closed. Then hesitantly, he drew away and watched her face as the brown eyes opened and she smiled warmly up at him.

He sighed deeply, expelling air he'd unconsciously held in his lungs. He had been uncertain of her reaction. Up to this point, they had been the best of friends, nothing else. He'd even fought over the suggestion there was more to the relationship. Now with her smile, Nate could breathe again and he returned it with a sheepish grin of his own, putting his arms out and gently drawing Marybeth to him. As he did, her arms entwined about his neck and she raised her face toward his. Again, his mouth came down over hers, this time searchingly, possessively, until her lips yielded in kind.