Chapter 14

Time moved rapidly and though Nate put off the inevitable as long as possible, they were forced to head for Tahoe. As they drove from the flat barren desert into mountains, the sun crested the horizon behind them, coloring the world in rose and pink stillness for a moment before it awoke singing with life. A fresh snow had fallen in Tahoe and glistened with  unearthly beauty beneath the first early morning rays as their car pulled in front of the Bledsoe home, the comfortable silence the couple shared on the ride home unbroken, until Blythe reached for the door handle.

"Thanks for the lift. I enjoyed our time together."

"It doesn't have to end."

Ignoring the comment, Blythe pulled on the handle, opening the door. At the same instant, Nate reached across her and pulled it closed again, his hand holding it shut as his arm forced her back in the seat.

"Hear me out before you go storming off. I'm attracted to you. I believe you feel the same about me."

Averting her eyes, she put a hand up to shove his restraining arm away but instead of succeeding, Nate became more determined and moved it closer to her body, pinning her there.

Blythe shot him a look that flashed with sparks of anger then just as quickly glazed...a gun metal gray as cold as steel in the wintry air. When she spoke, her tone was as icy and emotionless. "I'm flattered, but why me? There must be hundreds of young willing girls filled with adulation, eager to fawn all over you. I'm sure you've found one or two in every town. What's the matter, haven't met your quota yet?"

"Wow!" he said derisively. "Look, don't sell yourself short...it's out of character and unbecoming. You're perfectly aware of the affect you have. I've watched you flirt, tease. You thrive on it. Maybe you take it for granted, don't even realize what you're doin', but let me assure you, darlin', you're a very adept prick teaser."

A little girl grin slowly lit her face, revealing a trace of dimple that Nate found alluring and he thought how very dangerous this woman was, for she did know exactly what she was doing.

"Why, thank you," she said with the barest hint of sarcasm. "I have been called much worse though. Some say I'm a bitch...but then, I always remind myself that like with most things, there are good ones as well as bad."

"And you're a good one, I suppose," Nate mocked.

"Am I? Don't be too sure of anything, Mr. Stevens." She paused and shot him a sidelong look. "You didn't answer my question, why me?"

There was silence for a long moment then he shrugged. "I don't really know...or at least I can't explain it. It's like I've known you before, or always known you...that it was meant for us to meet like this. I guess that sounds silly, but haven't you ever had that feeling? Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

"No," she lied, knowing exactly what he was saying...that their auras were somehow intertwined, that even if they said goodbye at that moment, destiny would again make their paths cross. She'd felt it but she didn't want to admit it, didn't want to believe in feelings or fate, especially not love.

"Are you going to hear me out?" he sighed. She nodded and he withdrew his arm. "I'd like to see you again. You don't have to believe this, but I don't try to see how many conquests I can chalk up and I do not have a girl in every town. You're probably the only woman I've been interested in for a long time. I'd like you to meet me in Hot Springs. I've got to go on the bus with the guys. The plans have already been made. You could fly down when you get your business taken care of here. I'll make all the arrangements and have tickets waiting for you. We'll be staying at the Arlington. Please say you'll come. I really want you to."

"Be careful what you want, Nathan Stevens, you might just get it," Blythe said prophetically then shook her head. "No, I might flirt...tease, do all the things you accuse me of but I don't get involved. How can I make you understand? Idon't want a relationship...physical or emotional. I can't join you. I'm sorry."

"I won't touch you. You can stay in a different hotel for all I care. Just spend time with me, get to know me." He sounded sincere but there was something wicked, almost menacing, in the storm gray eyes.

"No," she stated flatly.

He reached across her again, flipping the handle, giving the door a push as he did, a contemptuous scowl darkening his face. "It's open...you're free. Go flirt, run away or better yet go back to your husband where it's safe. Do whatever it is you do."

His words stung like a slap and Blythe felt crimson flush in her cheeks. Unable to utter a word, she angrily got out of the car, not bothering to close the door behind her. The driveway and walk were blanketed with newly fallen snow and Nate thought irritably that if nothing else he was still a gentleman. He couldn't let her slip along in high heels by herself and should at least escort her to the door, no matter how mad and disappointed he was.

Stepping from the car, he was stunned by a wet clump of snow that hit him squarely on the chest, splattering cold crystals onto his face and hair where they clung. Blythe stood perfectly still, holding her ground, staring boldly at him, a stare that dared him to retaliate. Casually, he smiled, nonchalantly swooped a handful of the white powder from the street and started toward her, moving swiftly in his tennis shoes. She squealed and started to run but he caught her easily and tackled her to the ground, flakes whirling about them as they flung snow wildly at each other.

Nate finally wrestled her down, rendering her immobile as he pinned her arms above her head. Both were laughing with exhilaration, the excitement of the moment. Their breathing was rapid, temperatures soaring until Nate, leaning close grew solemn and still, watching her struggle in a fainthearted attempt to twist free.

Seeing the radical change come over him, Blythe gave up her writhing and lay motionless, returning his gaze, her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath. "What's wrong?" she panted flippantly, her tone taunting.

Nate's eyes clouded then narrowed and he released the grip he held on her wrists, rolling away from her onto his feet. Bending, he offered his hand and Blythe took it cautiously, allowing herself to be hauled to her feet. Without a word, he walked her onto the porch, any previous closeness between them gone.

Meaning to enter the house and close the door, ending the brief encounter without a backward glance, Blythe tossed a careless "Thanks" over her shoulder but Nate spun her around, his arms closing vise-like around her as he brought his face to hers. She felt his breath then, misty warm as it hung in the frigid air seconds before his hard mouth roughly smothered hers, bruising and hot against her flesh.

Her hands pushed against his chest, nails digging into the leather of his jacket as she tried to twist her head from the crushing embrace that burned her lips and snatched the air from her lungs. A strong hand caught in her hair, forcing her head back and her heart raced with anger and panic. But Nate was relentless with his caresses until she no longer had the strength to fight him or the will to deny the desire that welled within her. Unable to stop, not wanting to, Blythe's arms went around his neck, pressing him closer and she returned his kisses with a fervor equal to his.

Suddenly, unexpectedly, Nate released her and reaching up, coolly disentangled himself from her clinging grasp. Stepping back, he held her at arm's length and appraised her disheveled appearance with an amused expression. "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much," he said finally, a smug grin spreading across his sardonic face as he added, "If you change your mind, you know where to reach me. This time, I'll be ready for you."

He swaggered off then, leaving her on the threshold, bewildered and furious.