hugs and sickness

With a pounding head and sore throat, Jennie makes her way towards her first class. She knows she should stay home, but she has an important forensic pathology test to take, and after all the studying she has done, she refuses to miss it.

She will write the test and then go home.

When her professor sets the test on her desk, she nearly groans out loud when the words blur. She blinks rapidly and narrows her gaze in an attempt to clear her vision. It works for a few minutes, and when they can start, Jennie writes as quickly as possible, racing her wavering sight. She fights the blurriness as she flips through the pages, hoping she is writing on the correct lines, and her eyes ache by the time she is done. Any movement she makes with them sends a stab of pain through her head, the bright light causing her to wince with each step she takes towards her teacher's desk.

Thankfully the test was all they had scheduled, so she is quick to shuffle out into the hall, her eyes only half-open in an attempt to protect them from the light.

By the time she makes it home, tears are threatening to fall. The pain is overwhelming, and before she collapses in her bed, she forces herself to take some medication first.

She changes into her sleepwear and crawls under her covers, feeling a little better with the complete darkness that envelopes her room.

With her eyes finally shut, the pain eases some, and she quickly settles comfortably into her mattress. It doesn't take long for sleep to consume her.

———

A cool hand on her forehead has Jennie groaning and forcing her heavy eyelids open.

"Hey, baby," Lisa whispers, sliding her hand down until it cups her cheek. She hums and nuzzles into her palm.

"Hi, what are you doing here?" Jennie croaks, shifting onto her side to make room for Lisa, who is quick to slide under the covers.

"You weren't responding to any of my texts or my calls, so I decided to check on you. I take it you aren't feeling well?" She asks quietly, and Jennie shakes her head, burying her face into the crook of her girlfriend's shoulder.

"Sore throat and migraine."

Lisa sighs and cups the back of her head, gently massaging her scalp. "I'm sorry. How is the pain? Did you take any meds?"

"I did before I fell asleep. It's not too bad now—just a dull throbbing. My throat is worse, though," Jennie murmurs and Lisa presses a kiss to her head.

"I'll make you some tea. Have you eaten?"

The shorter shakes her head.

"Okay, I'll fix you some soup too. You stay here and try and sleep some more," Lisa says, and Jennie nods, her eyes falling closed again.

She carefully slides out of bed, and the shorter listens as she walks out of the room and down the stairs. The last thing she hears before sleep claims her again is Lisa opening and closing cupboards.

She wakes to the blonde kissing her cheek multiple times, and with a smile, She opens her eyes to meet bright brown.

"Your meal awaits, baby," the brunette says with a dramatic English accent and Jennie chuckles.

Her girlfriend is a giant dork.

"Thank you."

As she sits up, she finds her head doesn't hurt anymore. A hand on her shoulder stops her from moving any further, and when Jennie peers up at Lisa in question, she gets her answer when the brunette's arms slip around her back and under her knees.