you should be here

a long long long one-shot so better be ready bcs they're more to come this long (sorry if there are typos, tell me if you find a different name!)

Jennie rearranges the small bag of soil on her hip as she responds to a text from Megan, typing she may be a little late for trivia night because she has to show the new hire—Mal—how to close the shop, being her third day on the job.

She hasn't closed leaf since the beginning, when it was just her, Megan, and Chaeyoung figuring out how to make it in this business, before buying plants became mainstream. Their shop has been open for almost six years, and by year three, they felt comfortable to hire someone so they could take a step back from day-to-day operations. Sofia was supposed to be here, but she had a community event in Northeast, so Jennie volunteered to cover her shift.

She walks back out to the floor and notices it's much more crowded and definitely noisier than when she left, the soft indie music she chose drowned out by a lively conversation.

There are two girls standing at the register, talking to Mal, making her laugh as the shorter of the two points at the pot. That one in particular has been popular among customers because it has breasts ("Boobies!" Jennie hears) as the design. She rolls her eyes, amused at the immaturity, but those were her exact words when the new shipment from the local supplier arrived as well.

Jennie places the soil in its section, straightening a bit before she turns around and sees another person, walking slowly and carefully along the display of plants.

The woman's pretty, dressed in a fitted pair of black jeans and an oversized sand colored t-shirt, topped off with an olive green beanie. Jennie finds her attractive, might even say that she's someone she would go for, but she knows it's just another day, another encounter with a person she'll never see again.

There's an adorable concentrated expression on her face, as she stops to look at a plant, that has Jennie smiling fondly, but she shakes her head, composing herself. She walks over to the woman because Mal seems preoccupied and, well, she owns the place so it's still her job to sell.

"Hi, can I help you with something?"

It clearly wasn't the best thing to do because the woman nearly jumps away from the wall at the sound, visibly startled.

"Shit, you scared me," The woman says breathless.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to do that," Jennie apologizes, smiling politely as she glances at the plant the woman was looking at—ficus elastica. In simpler terms, a rubber plant. She tilts her head, "Is there anything I could help you with?"

"Oh no," The woman says sheepishly, bringing her hand to rub the back of her head. "I'm not a plant person. I'm just here with my friends."

She's about to respond when noise erupts from the register.

"Kim don't do that!" is yelled followed by a pot shattering on the ground.

Jennie hears Mal muttering loudly fuck fuck fuck and she sighs, letting a breath out and giving the woman in front of her an apologetic smile, "I better go take care of that."

"Uh, let me go with you. I'm pretty sure those are my friends," The woman rolls her eyes, shaking her head as if it's expected. Jennie has to control the smile forming because she's finding it all too cute with her annoyance.

They make their way through the shop, with the woman following to the sight of a broken pot and its pieces scattered all over the floor.

"I can explain. I'll pay for it. I'll work for free. I'll-I'll do anything," Mal rushes out before she can open her mouth.