forty-five steps to stumbling ass-backwards into love

1. "Don't look at me like that."

Lisa catches the bag of ice but throws a glare at Jennie and her knowing smirk.

So what if she decided to fight the post and lose? So what if Jennie had yelled at her from the other side of the pitch not to even try it? So what if Zira was attempting an assist from the top row of the bleachers?

This is not Lisa's fault.

If anything, she's the brave one. Jennie doesn't have an unspoken badge of honor from being the one to always accept a challenge. Jennie doesn't have the unending respect of her fellow teamma—

"Ow! Hey!"

Jennie doesn't have a visible bruise on her shoulder that smarts when yet another ice pack lands on her. Lisa grumbles some more as she takes over holding the pack in place from Jennie's warm hands, but her rolling eyes express the thanks she'll never say out loud.

————

2. "Fancy seeing you here."

Jennie calls out, seeing the sole occupant of the pitch. She spotted Lisa half a block away, her juggling form unmistakable when it could have been any of the other girls, or maybe even one of the guys. She should have known Lisa would be out here, hours before practice, after their disaster of a game last night.

"Hey," is the quiet, unusually subdued greeting.

Once she gets close enough, Lisa passes her the ball, not even trying to nutmeg her.

That's how she knows it's bad.

None of them had a good game. The midfielders and the forwards never clicked, and the defenders were absolutely bushed by the second half. But Lisa—she had their only good look, and it went wide.

Jennie knows exactly what to do. She ignores the cones and poles set out and dribbles to about the spot where Celia had gotten the cross off. Lisa stares at her, fists clenched, mouth in a firm line, body radiating anger. Then she uncurls, shakes her arms loose, and trudges to the corner of the box.

Jennie sends in the cross, Lisa chests it down, and it rattles the frame.

She grabs another ball. This one goes over. The next sails into the top right corner. Over and over and over until the rest of the team arrives, and Coach yells at them for wrecking their bodies the day after a rough game.

————

3. "What, are you scared?"

Jennie teases when the street lamp above them goes out suddenly, and Lisa full on yelps and collides into her back.

"No," she immediately denies but wraps both hands around Jennie's bicep and clings to her side.

Even though Lisa can't see it, Jennie rolls her eyes and comes to a stop, turning until she thinks she's facing the other girl. With a suppressed grin, Jennie whispers, "Lumos," and, like magic, there's a faint glow between them.

In the bluish light, Lisa looks awed and transfixed but then she glances down to find the source of the light, and it's Jennie's cell phone, face up and screen on.

"You're such a dork," Lisa whines, turning and setting off for the next street corner with a working light bulb.

"And you're such a baby!" Jennie taunts, jogging to catch up, "Can't wait to tell the team you're scared of the dark."

————

4. "Are you always this stupid, or are you just trying to impress me?"