waking up with and for you

one | 1:17AM

"Jennie?"

"Yeah?"

"Is there a reason you're lying on top of me?" Having just slid out of the comforting hold of sleep, Lisa is reluctantly cracking an eye open to assess the amusing sight of her girlfriend's body draped almost entirely over hers.

With brown hair splayed out across her sleep shirt, arms tightly encircling her waist, half a torso resting directly on her stomach, and one leg thrown unceremoniously over her body, Lisa feels completely covered in Jennie. Not that she thinks it's a bad position to be in at all, really- it's just that the two have an eventful day to wake up to, and Jennie's sudden need to wrap her in a big koala hug in the middle of the night isn't helpful for the two getting a good night's sleep.

"I missed you." Jennie's voice is barely audible, her lips moving softly against Lisa's chest.

The taller chuckles and gently runs her fingers through Jennie's long brown waves. "How could you miss me if I'm right here?"

She tightens her hold on Lisa before whispering, "You fell asleep first, and then I realized I wasn't ready to not hear your voice for the next eight hours." Jennie lifts her head slightly, peering up at Lisa with feline brown eyes and a soft smile. She presses a small kiss to Lisa's collarbone and shrugs, "Technically we can't be together while we sleep, so I missed you."

Lisa can't help the smile and the instant flush of heat that runs all the way through her cheeks up to the tip of her ears from Jennie's adorable confession, but the heaviness in her eyes quickly reminds her of just how tired she is.

She rubs the brunette's back in large soothing circles, occasionally letting her fingers slip under Jennie's shirt. She hopes that the sensation might make the girl fall back asleep, and after a few minutes in silence, the plan seems to work. She smiles as she watches Jennie's eyelids grow heavier with every circle drawn on her back.

"I love it when you do that." She is muttering indistinctly, but Lisa deciphers her words as if they were crystal clear.

"I know you do."

Lisa rolls over, effectively placing Jennie right beside her so that the two lay facing one another, noses just shy from touching. She returns to softly combing through her hair, watching the girl's breathing slow with each stroke. She doesn't stop until she's sure that Jennie has slipped back into sleep.

Lisa lightly presses her lips to her forehead and pulls her in close before giving in to her own slumber once more.

=

two | 2:24AM

Lisa finds herself forcibly opening her eyes again that night from the sudden sensation of Jennie trembling in her arms. Her eyes widen in concern as she takes in the sight before her- the brunette's eyes are screwed shut with a deeply furrowed brow, as her shoulders shake intensely every few seconds.

"Jen?" Lisa wraps her arms tightly around the girl's body in an attempt to stop her harsh movements.

"Yeah?" Jennie's voice is a quiet, quivering whisper, but it's not covered in the slightest hint of sleep; in fact, it sounds as though she's been awake and trembling for at least twenty minutes.

Lisa pulls her impossibly closer. "You're shaking."

"Mhm." Jennie offers no explanation, instead she buries her face into the crook of her neck. The sensation of the freezing tip of the girl's nose coming in contact with her warm skin makes Lisa hiss in shock. If she wasn't awake before, she certainly is now.