(when i touch you) i feel happy inside

five times jennie held lisa's hand first and one time lisa held jennie's

I.

When it happens the first time, Jennie laughs.

It was so obnoxiously accidental that it is almost painful and the embarrassment that comes from it emanates from everyone standing in the street. She remembers people sitting outside of a coffee shop looking at them, taking in the scene with bemused smiles and Jennie... God, she remembers that smile and those eyes and how she was overwhelmed with the feeling that this was just the start of something.

"I just don't know what else I'm supposed to do. They want us to encourage young minds but they put all of these restrictions in place," Joey sighs and Jennie can't help but feel for him. While this is only their second 'official' date together she's known him for years and, honestly, she's never met a teacher so passionate. He fights for his students, for their rights and education, and each time he meets a brick wall it deflates him a little more. "Sorry, I know. No work talk. It just frustrates me."

Jennie shakes her head, amused. Joey apologising for being devoted to his students isn't something he needs to do but she also knows, from Jules, that he's been nervous about this date for a while and she can easily forgive him. Her own nerves stem from the fact that this is her first date in a long time and less about the person she's with, but she can ignore that. He is sweet, and kind, and he has a protective nature that she can't deny she enjoys.

And, for now, that security is enough.

"I understand. I have the same frustrations at the hospital but those in power will always set limits," she shrugs. They both know it's true but they both want to do more and she's peaceful in the knowledge that she has a friend--a date-- like him who feels the same way about injustice. Her distraction comes in the form of beautifully formed cakes in a large window on her right and she lets herself be taken over there, a happy grin on her face. "Look at these."

"I thought we were finding somewhere for lunch," He chuckles from next to her but Jennie scoffs and ignores him, her eyes taking in the intricate details of the cake, the icing that seems to shine, decorations that only a steady hand could form and make so pretty. "Do you want one?"

"No," She replies immediately but her eyes shine with humor and she runs a hand through her hair as she stands up. "I'm not being responsible for being the person who takes a slice out of that cake and completely ruins what it looks like. Come on."

When she goes to walk away she holds her hand out to hold Joey's, but is surprised to find her hand surrounded by soft warmth and cool fingers that tense almost immediately.

She turns, quickly, to look at the hand she's holding and her mouth drops in embarrassment at the young woman standing next to her looking equally as confused as she is. The blonde looks at their joined hands for a few seconds before she pulls her hand back, a sudden loss filling Jennie, and she laughs politely at the mistake.

"I know the cakes are lovely but you don't need to hold a stranger's hand to contain the excitement," she says, and she is too mortified to do anything but stare at the woman for a full thirty-seconds.

"I'm so sorry," she groans, Joey's laughter genuinely not helping the situation in the slightest and she closes her eyes like it will erase the last minute from her memory. "I thought you were him."

"I won't lie. If you think my hands are like his then I'm afraid I can't take that as a compliment," the woman laughs, completely at ease it seems with a stranger holding her hand in public. It takes Jennie a long second to open her eyes and when she does she's met with the most beautiful smile, complete with bright brown eyes that have filled with humor and amusement. "However if he does have hands like mine, he's lucky."