Chapter One

Chapter One|October 2018

Princess Adrienne's first official royal engagement is to attend an event to mark World Mental Health Day with her brother William and her sister-in-law, Catherine.

She had no idea how William would act around her, yet she hid her nervousness and smiled for the cameras.

When Adrienne joined William and Catherine, William ignored her presence, and Catherine greeted her.

"I'm excited to be able to spend the day with you, Adrienne. It's been so long since we've seen you, and you've missed so much, but we're glad you're back, right William." Catherine said.

"She should've stayed wherever she was," William said.

"William," Catherine said sternly.

"It's okay, Catherine," Adrienne said.

They arrived at the Global Ministerial Mental Health Summit. Adrienne stepped out of the car, smiling and waving as she quickly entered the building.

She urged people to open dialogue about mental health, but she kept her mental health issues to herself.

She urged others to be kind to each other and seek help if they needed it. She was lucky she had Beatrice and David when she was at her lowest.

Every word she read of her speech spilled the truth of why she had disappeared, and only a few knew about it.

They entered the car, and Catherine noticed Adrienne seemed a bit sad.

"Adrienne, are you okay?" Catherine asked.

"I'm fine," Adrienne answered.

~

"Victoria! It's so nice to see you." Adrienne exclaimed, pulling her best friend and future Queen of Sweden into a hug.

"We must talk, Adrienne." Victoria smiled.

Adrienne smiled back at her. Victoria settled on the nearest seat in Adrienne's living space in Clearance House.

"How are you doing?" Victoria asked.

"Honestly, I'm tired, and everything has not been going according to plan," Adrienne answered.

"Adrienne, do you think it's wise to have yourself here? I think you should come back to Sweden. You were so much happier there, and everyone misses you." Victoria said.

"I cannot just leave, Victoria," Adrienne said.

"Are you happy here? Tell me you have not once felt a slip up here, Adrienne?" Victoria asked.

Adrienne hesitated and then cursed herself for doing so, "I'm happy here." She answered.

"If you have to hesitate, then you are probably not happy here," Victoria said.

"Victoria, I cannot just appear then disappear again. I have to be a big girl and handle this as my mother did. I should be brave like her and not let my issues take control and hide." Adrienne said.

"Adrienne-" Victoria was interrupted by my father walking in, followed by Camille, Harry, Meghan, William, and Catherine.

"Oh, Victoria, I heard you were in town. I hope we're not interrupting." Charles said.

"No, not at all," Adrienne said.

"Victoria, you haven't met my daughter-in-law, Meghan, yet," Charles said as he introduced the two ladies.

"Hello, Meghan, congratulations on the baby," Victoria said.

"Hello, Victoria, and thank you," Meghan said.

"So, Victoria, what brings you to London?" William asked.

"Royal duties as usual, but I also came to report to Adrienne about her goddaughter, Estelle," Victoria answered.

"How are the little ones doing?" Catherine asked.

"They're wonderful; Estelle misses her godmother and demands that I drag Adrienne back to Sweden with me. The whole family misses Adrienne." Victoria answered.

"Estelle and I FaceTime almost every day. I'm sure you're just over exaggerating, Victoria." Adrienne said.

"Not even. Anyways, before I forget, I was told to give this to you," Victoria said as she handed Adrienne a large-sized box.

"Please do not tell me; it's what I think it is," Adrienne said as she held the box in her hand.

"Consider it an early birthday present but also bribe to promise to visit soon," Victoria said.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"The Asscher Tiara," Adrienne answered as she opened the box.

"Well, it's now called Princess Adrienne's Diamond Tiara," Victoria said.

"Thank you, and I love it. I promise I'll come and visit very soon." Adrienne said.

"You're welcome, and you better, or else I'll release Madeleine on you," Victoria said.

~

"What are you doing here?" Beatrice asked as she opened the door for me.

"I couldn't sleep, so I thought my favorite cousin could cheer me up," I answered as I took a seat on her bed.

"What's wrong?" Beatrice asked.

"I was thinking about David," I answered.

"I thought you said you were okay with how everything was between you two," Beatrice said.

"I was until Genie's wedding where he said he wanted to change things," I said.

"Change things, how?" She asked.

"He wants to go public," I answered.

"But do you?" She asked.

"I don't know," I answered.

"Adrienne, you have to know." She said.

"I mean, at first I did but now, with William being so cold towards me and my issues. I don't think I want to go public." I said.

"So, just tell him that." She said.

"I gave him an ultimatum about going public, and now he agrees to it, and I don't. I'm insane, Beatrice." I said.

"You're annoying but not insane, Adrienne; you need to stop doing this to yourself and think about what you want." She said.

"I know," I said.