Chapter Two

Chapter Two|November 2018

*Articles  Filler Chapter *

Royal family poses for pics for Prince Charles' 70th birthday

The Prince of Wales was joined by royal family members for special birthday portraits.

Prince Charles celebrates his 70th birthday on Wednesday — and the royal family couldn't be more excited!

The Prince of Wales and his family members got the party started early when they gathered together in the gardens of Clarence House in London, where Charles lives with his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

Kensington Palace
@kensingtonpalace

🎂 Wishing a very Happy 70th Birthday to The Prince of Wales!

Two new photographs of The Prince of Wales and his family, taken by @ChrisJack_Getty in the garden of Clarence House, have been released to celebrate HRH's 70th birthday. Visit @ClarenceHouse for more 📷

5:11 PM  • 13 Nov 2018

Luckily for royal watchers, the family shared a pair of surprisingly lively snapshots from the special occasion, which were taken in September.

In one of the pics, Charles is all smiles as he sits on a wooden bench with his 5-year-old grandson, Prince George, in his lap. Adrienne sits besides on the left and Camilla sits beside him on the right, hugging George's little sister, Princess Charlotte, 3.

Behind the happy couple are Charles' sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, along with their wives, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge — who's seen cradling her youngest son, 6-month-old Prince Louis — and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, who's pregnant with Charles' future grandchild.

Fans of the royal family will note right away that Harry was photographed with his arm around Meghan — just the latest display of public affection between the lovebirds.

The photographer behind the pics wrote about the gathering on Instagram, noting, "It was particularly special to capture such an informal and relaxed family portrait over a fun afternoon in the gardens of Clarence House!"

The sweet photos come days after the BBC aired the documentary "Prince, Son & Heir: Charles at 70." The movie features behind-the-scenes footage of the doting grandpa — and future king — showering his grandkids with love.

Now, with the news that Harry and Meghan's first child is on the way, Charles can look forward to the best birthday gift of all: another royal baby in spring 2019!

Happy birthday, Prince Charles!

-

Prince Charles' 70th birthday: see Princess Adrienne, Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle, Princess Eugenie and other royals arrive at Buckingham Palace

Prince Charles and Camilla
Happy birthday to the Prince of Wales! Prince Charles celebrated his 70th birthday on Wednesday evening, with a lavish party at Buckingham Palace. While the royal bash was a private affair, fans were able to catch a glimpse of the royals arriving at the Queen's London home in their chauffeur-driven cars. The birthday boy rode in the same car as his wife the Duchess of Cornwall, while the Queen waited at the palace to greet her son.

As the Prince and the Duchess zoomed past, photographers flashed their cameras, managing to sneak a peek of the couple. Charles looked dapper in a black tuxedo, while Camilla, 71, was lovely in a navy blue Bruce Oldfield gown. 

Other royals who attended the glitzy bash included Charles' sons Prince William and Prince Harry, with their wives Kate and Meghan. Charles' daughter Princess Adrienne. The future King's siblings – Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward – were also among the guests. Meanwhile, members of European royal families also made an appearance, from Crown Princess Mary of Denmark to King Juan Carlos of Spain.

The Queen delivered a touching toast for her son Prince Charles, seen here posing with wife Camilla ahead of the birthday dinner. In front of guests, which included the royal family and members from royal families across Europe, the mother-of-four said: "It is a privilege for any mother to be able to propose a toast to her son on his 70th birthday. It means that you have lived long enough to see your child grow up. It is rather like —to use an analogy I am certain will find favour — planting a tree and being able to watch it grow."

She continued: "My mother saw me turn 70, of course. And she was heard to observe that 70 is exactly the age when the number of candles on your cake finally exceeds the amount of breath you have to blow them out. Over his 70 years, Philip and I have seen Charles become a champion of conservation and the arts, a great charitable leader — a dedicated and respected heir to the throne to stand comparison with any in history — and a wonderful father. Most of all, sustained by his wife Camilla, he is his own man, passionate and creative. So this toast is to wish a happy birthday to my son, in every respect a duchy original. To you Charles. To the Prince of Wales."

-

Princess Adrienne and Prince Elias are a couple

It's true! Princess Adrienne is off the market — and her boyfriend is Swedish royal Prince Elias.

A statement from Kensington Palace confirms on Twitter that they have been dating for "a couple of years."