- Chapter Thirty Eight -

Eden's outfit

——————

A week until the wedding.

Julia showed up to my place constantly. She offered things adamant she would make it up to me. But she didn't need to.

I had already forgiven her even before all the paper threats.

A month before the wedding she brought up our relationship. "I love you." She blurted out.

I raise my eyebrows. "Uhm."

"I know I've struggled to say it back," she kissed my cheek. "Just know. I want to wake up every day with you. Cook together, cry together. Not just have sex or be intimate in a sexual way... I just want you."

I glanced away and tried to hold back my growing urge to jump up and down and run about.

"No more I like you." She joked.

And that was the first deep conversation we had a month before everything went down.

The longest she'd go before sneaking out was a week since her parents have her on strict lockdown. Kira's their snitch.

The long wait meant it was more special when she'd show up with flowers and chocolates. She'd take me on dates. The sex was even better as well because of it.

I should have known to never take her for granted again.

Those words were the only thing going through my head as she laid in my bed naked.

Audrey was annoyed and we grew anxious as more information on the new cure for my dads illness. Which was being developed. This meant if they offered it to him I'd have to go with them.

Julia doesn't even know there is a cure.

"Morning, love," Julia kissed my collarbone and ran a hand over my stomach before getting up and moving into my bathroom.

I walked in with her, brushed my teeth as I watched her go on with her business.

"I love you." I blurted out and she paused, toothbrush clattering in the sink. I panicked and retracted the statement running to my shame hole, "I- it's not too late right?"

"I love you too," she said and spat out the toothpaste. She rinsed her mouth and moved over to me. "Okay?" She smiled.

"Okay," I grinned and she kissed my forehead before grabbing a towel and going in for a shower.

"I love you." She said again from in the shower and I chuckled.

The rest of our day went on as normal... she had tried to start something before she left and Audrey had to rush her away.

"Let me have Eden time!" Audrey yelled.

"She said I love you back." I say giddy.

"Good for you." She says blankly. "If you have to move for your dad I'm coming with you."

I nod grimly and offer her breakfast. I avoided the conversation like the plague, too guilty to have to burden my girlfriend with it.

We were doing so good I didn't want to ruin anything.

The conversations differed from day to day but the day of the wedding was stressful.

Julia was at my place as she got dressed but we kept getting distracted and then we were almost running late cause I had lost my underwear.

"You're here little one!" Diego hugged me and I hugged back.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, dad." I grin and he moves out the way, showing his soon to be wife.

"Laurie, I'm so happy for you two!" Julia hugs them both and Laurie hugs me.

"Eden, Diego talks about you a lot I honestly thought you were actually his daughter. To be fair, you do have similar features."

Me and Diego laugh. But the harsh reality of the thought did cross our minds. It felt too real. It was weird.

"Congrats." I say and we go to sit in our assigned seats. "He asked me to do a speech."

"Really? I didn't know you were that close." Julia held my hand as I folded the piece of paper.

We had grown even closer since the charity event. He was my go to for everything. My second father.

"He's like my dad. While you weren't there we got to go out and do things daughters and dads get to do."

"Cute." Was all she said before the rest of our group joined us. Eugene and Grace joined us as well.

The ceremony started and we all broke down instantly as soon as he saw Laurie. He began crying and so did we. It was emotional for all of us.

They went through their vows and all that wedding stuff. It was beautiful. They were beautiful. I even wanted to have a wedding now.

Every now and then Julia would nibble on my ear after saying something along the lines of "that could be us." It made me feel warm inside.

The world was normal, complete, where I needed it to be.

The ceremony finished and we all moved into the place where the party was held and I got to do my speech.

I was given the microphone and took a deep breath before wiping away some tears.

"I met Diego on my first day of work. He was charming and kind and protective. You could tell he cared not only about his job, but also about the people around him. I was lucky to be one of those people. We immediately got along and even though we only waved or shared high fives, I knew he was going to be one of my closest friends. I would never imagine his nickname for me would be 'little one' or he'd call me his little girl or that I call him dad because he was that when I needed it. I love you Diego. You are the father I needed and the protector I was lucky enough to be forced to annoy. I'm so glad you get to find happiness in Laurie who's now technically my mom." I was now fully sobbing, my voice wobbly and shaky. "Congratulations!"

We were both crying and before I sat down, he stood up and came over to me, wrapping me into a big bear hug. We both cried and swayed side to side as we calmed each other down.

"Why didn't I get to do a speech!" Julia called out and we all laughed.

"My daughter gets first priority." He joked and winked at me.

The overwhelming love and kindness I felt knocked the breath from my lungs. I never wanted to leave this moment. I had to stay like this forever.

Which was just when I had time to check my phone I saw a million missed calls from my mom.

"Julia I have to take this." She nods and I take my bag out with me.

"They did it. We're moving to Paris." Was all my mother said.

"Oh my god! I'll be over as soon as I can." I will always regret not going back and saying goodbye, to kiss Julia one last time to apologise to Diego. It was like all of our memories slipped from my mind and my real dad took the forefront.

I saw Kira camping outside.

"This is why she's disappeared. She's been seeing you." Venom dripped from her words. "I want you to leave her. She never cared for you. She cared for me. I can ruin your life and I will. You know I have that ability."

That night I left them all without a word.

———————————————————————