- Chapter Forty Six -

I stared at the coffee table, Julia next to me.

Four years ago I was at fancy events having wild sex with a rich girl who loved me. We were going to work on having a better relationship. I screwed that up.

Now I'm living a normal life with people that love me and I'm happy. I've grown with them. They're the ones who didn't care that I was annoying, they understood me and welcomed me with open arms.

At least I got to have these three years of being happy with Sierra. Having a healthy relationship with her until Julia had to ruin it.

"Eden. I'm leaving for work." Zack left his room and rested a hand on my shoulder. I hadn't moved since I got off of Julia. "Sierra will be here in five minutes." He muttered something to Julia before leaving.

"Eden." She said softly. "Eden?" She rested a hand on my thigh. My body went into shut down, all of this too much to process.

"Don't." I said harshly before standing up. "I don't want to try again. I can't. I want to have my family back, I need to have my family back... but I've already done most of the damage. I'm happy right now." I felt my eyes water up.

She stood up with me and went to hold my hand. I moved it away as the front door opened.

"Eden, baby?" Sierra walked in and looked between us. "What the- what's happening?"

"Nothing. She's just leaving." I looked Julia in the eyes. "She's just leaving." I repeated waiting for her to move.

"It's fine," Sierra smiled and moved towards me, holding me by my elbow. "I'm really sorry ms- mrs. Manuel." She apologised for me and pulled me away from her. "She just shuts down when she's dealing with stress. It got worse after her dad. Took me weeks to get her to talk to me when we became friends." She smiled at Julia who just nodded and shoved her hands in her pockets.

"Of course. I'm going to go now." She made her way to the door. "Eden, think about my offer."

I keep my eyes on Sierra, her presence grounding me. When Julia left I broke down. "I'm sorry." I muttered and let the tears fall. The self hatred and frustration bubbling over. "I'm so sorry." I cried and she held me.

"It's fine. You're safe." She repeated into my hair, letting her hand rub circles on my back, calming me. "You can talk to me. You don't have to be sorry." Her tone was grimly, realising I was going to have to choose.

"You hate her, why were you so nice to her?" I hiccuped.

"Because I'd rather not get beat up by your ex who's a lot more intimidating in person. She's very tall." She smiled and it soothed me.

"I ruined today." I mumbled and she frowned.

"Not at all, I've got cake and wine and we're going to play your favourite game and enjoy ourselves." She kissed me and I pulled her closer, desperate to tell myself that Sierra's the one I want.

Sierra is the one I want.

I woke up the next morning, in my bed naked with Sierra beside me. I sighed out of relief thinking yesterday was just a dream.

"Morning." Sierra yawned and kissed my cheek. She got up from the bed. "What do you wanna do today? I asked boss for the day off so we can spend time together." She said from my vanity before turning around with a smile.

"Uhm, I don't know. We could just stay in?" I asked. I'm not good with decisions.

"Zack's not at college today so we could go out and then come back when he leaves?" She wiggled her eyebrows causing me to laugh.

"Ok, let's do that." I smile.

Her phone goes off as she got back into bed with me. She groaned and picked it up from the side table.

"Oui?" Her eyes keep trained on my face, worry pulling at her features. "Oui bien sûr."

She hung up.

"What's wrong?"

"Uhm, Sofie just called and told us we need to get to the office." She picks up clothing from the ground quickly and starts to pull on her clothing. "Come on."

"We?" I muttered as she pulled the covers away from me.

"Yes we... come on," she threw clean clothing at me with a smile."

"What's up? Oh-" we stumble into the area laughing until we see Julia.

"She wouldn't leave until Eden showed up." Sofie fidgeted nervously.

"Can I talk to her in private?" Julia crossed her arms and stared at Sierra.

She nodded before kissing my cheek, "I love you, remember that." She whispered and slipped away.

"Zack wouldn't let me into your place." She leaned against my old desk. "I wanted to talk to you."

"About what, Julia?" I frowned. "There's nothing to talk about."

"We can sort something out." She said, I scoffed and began to pace.

"No we can't," I stood my ground when she pushed off the desk walking up to me.

"You sure?" She whispered, holding my stare. "You forget I know you too well."

"Do you?" My mind saying one thing and my body saying another. "We were together for a year compared to my relationship now that has lasted three. Tell me why I should sort something out."

"You don't need a reason."

"Maybe. Maybe not." I mutter. "Julia the only way I'd let myself get back with you was if Sierra decided she hates my guts and broke up with me- and she hasn't."

She pulled me closer to her. It would be amazing to have a fresh start with Julia.

"I will talk to you tomorrow, Julia. Now stop annoying my friends." I leave without looking back, guilt and confusion scaring me.

———————————————————————