[ 005 ] the final countdown

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FIVE !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER FIVE !

[ season one, episode six ]

The air shut off in the afternoon of the next day.

The group were quick to voice their worries; Jenner was even quicker to shut them down. It was like watching a game of ping-pong from the sidelines, arguments and questions bobbing back and forth over the net of questions the doctor refused to clarify for the sake of the worried strangers. All they received was a short explanation about priorities. Light is priority. Air conditioning is not priority. Zone 5 is shutting itself down. In Marley's opinion, the doctor was acting shifty and strange. Suspicious.

She felt uneasy.

"Right on schedule."

The group followed along behind a somewhat intoxicated Jenner, approaching the main room — of which was dome shaped, filled with different types of advanced technology. There was a large timer in the corner, glowing red . . . counting down from thirty minutes.

Counting down?

Marley gripped Sage's hand and tugged her along. The indubitable feeling of dread bloomed in the pit of her stomach, snaking up to her heart like poison ivy.

Jenner offered his bottle of whiskey to Daryl, but the man merely snatched it from his hands roughly, splashing amber liquid across the pearly floor. The scientist — who admitted this morning that he didn't know anything about how the deadly virus started nor how to cure it — sighed in defeat.

"It was the French." he said.

Marley's gaze locked with the first pair of eyes she could find. Andrea. They both frowned, confused.

"What?" Andrea asked hesitantly.

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know," Jenner stated. His words spread like rapid wildfire, inflicting hopelessness and fear into the bodies of those surrounding him. "While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs 'till the end. They thought they were close to a solution."

Marley took a deep breath. "What happened?" she asked aloud, curiosity breaching the dam of timidity she had assembled over time.

"The same thing that's happening here," Jenner shrugged nonchalantly. "No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel. I mean, how stupid is that?"