[ 033 ] wild embers

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER THIRTY-THREE !

[ season three, episode three ]

He didn't know if he trusted Woodbury yet.

The place seemed too good to be true. Walls, a community, supplies for days, and sentries marking every slab of raised metal suspended around the place. Theo hadn't seen anything like it since Before ─ even then, the houses weren't nearly as refined and pristine. He just couldn't get his head around it.

Woodbury was a village thriving in a world corrupted by grief and the dead, led by someone who called himself the "Governor." Well, referred to as. He tried to be modest about it, but Theo wasn't blind; a title and a nickname were two entirely different things, and it was a title that stuck. The Governor gained pleasure being addressed as the community's superior.

"I don't trust him." Michonne said as the trio strolled through the bustling village.

Only an hour prior, they had breakfast with the Governor and a strange, science-obsessed man named Milton. It had been a fairly awkward affair, brimming with small talk and forced conversation. Milton had been curious to know if the trio thought walkers possessed any inkling of their past-selves ─ perhaps an echo.

No. They didn't. Not even an whisper.

Andrea frowned, bemused, "Why not?"

Michonne stared distastefully at one of the Woodbury soldiers up ahead. He had been at the crash-site, armed with a sleek bow and a quiver of arrows. When he saw Michonne staring, his brow creased.

"Have you ever trusted anybody?" Andrea added, walking backward to discern Michonne's expression more clearly.

But Michonne's face was like stone: unmoving and undetectable. Her gaze shifted to Andrea's face, and she narrowed her eyes, "Yeah."

"Then give this a day or two, that's all I'm asking. Some time to get our shit together."

"My shit never stopped being together." Michonne retorted boldly.

To the right, there was a gathering of people dotted around the lawn of someone's house. Staring at the mingling group of adolescents and young adults, Theo became distracted from Andrea and Michonne's unfolding conversation ─ their intermixing voices faded to a dull hum at the back of his head.

He hadn't seen people his age for months. Funnily enough, Theo was of the belief people under the age of thirty-five simply didn't exist anymore; he thought he was the only teenager left to dwell on earth's rotten remains.