[ 045 ] half the problem gone

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE !

[ season three, episode ten & eleven ]

Her knees collided with the ground before she had a chance to understand what was happening.

Bullets whizzed over the crumbled wall, hitting the brick structure with such force that small chunks were blown off and thrown into the air, raining down on Marley and Theo's heads.

Arm shielding her face from the debris, Marley scrambled to press her back against the wall, using trembling hands to pull her handgun close to her chest. More gunshots clanged in the distance, accompanied by the sound of a car engine roaring to life. She managed to peer around the wall ━ the sight her eyes fell upon was expected: the Governor, standing in the midst of the verdant fields beyond the prison fences, with his rifle aimed into the courtyard. It was only a matter of time before he made his move to attack.

Behind him, a truck was rushing to join.

The person who jumped out of the vehicle was a woman with dark-blonde hair ━ undoubtedly his sister ━ with a rifle in her arms and donning a matching smirk. A group of armed fighters scurried out of the truck behind her.

A muscle in Theo's jaw bulged, hand fidgeting around his compound bow, "Helen. I knew she'd be in on it."

"That's his sister?" Marley questioned, amplifying her voice so Theo could hear it over the deafening clamour of gunshots.

He nodded, "She's just as bad as him."

"Then it's a good thing I had target practice before this," Marley said, peering around the wall again and scowling at the Woodbury siblings, "If we can shoot at least one of 'em, that's half the problem gone."

Theo swallowed thickly, reluctance gleaming in his downcast eyes, "Yeah. You're right."

She immediately noticed the nervous look on his face, "Have you ever killed a person before?"

"Me? Uh ━ once," he admitted, gulping, "But I wish I never had to."

Marley placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed softly, "I haven't. But, hey, we gotta do what we gotta do, right?"

"Right," Theo agreed, albeit unconvincingly.

"We do," Marley pressed, unhitching the safety on her handgun, "Stick with me. We're stronger together ━ that's what Glenn says."