[ 050 ] death with dignity (FINALE)

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FIFTY!

[ season three, episode sixteen ]FINALE

FINALE

On route to Woodbury, the small group came across the remnants of a slaughter.

Theo hopped out the car behind everyone else, clutching his compound bow tightly. There were bodies strewn across the asphalt, the grass verges on the side of the road, everywhere ━ people from Woodbury. He recognised a few faces from his short time in the Governor's territory. They had all been shot. Only a few turned, and Michonne took it upon herself to put them down. Her eyes then panned over the bodies lying face-down in the grass, and she looked disturbed.

He swallowed down the bubble of nausea rising in his throat. How could someone kill this many people and just walk away? The Governor was capable of the unthinkable, but Theo never imagined he would slaughter his own people.

It had to have been him. The truck with the smashed windshield ━ courtesy of Marley ━ was abandoned at the side of the road. After being ambushed at the prison, he probably lost his temper, resulting in the mass execution. Theo doubted Helen would venture that far into Crazytown. She couldn't be the culprit, especially with her arm. She couldn't even hold a gun.

"Don't touch that, Theo," Michonne said sharply.

He immediately retracted his hand from the walker slumped over the side of the military-style truck, "Sorry. I was just seeing if the blood was fresh."

"It's not," Michonne told him. She hadn't looked this serious in a long time, "You can see by looking. Your eyes aren't in your hands."

"Okay. I'm sorry," Theo repeated. He stepped back, moving as far from the walker's corpse as he could, when suddenly ━ BANG.

Two hands slammed against the grimy window of the truck, from the inside. Theo almost fell over as he stumbled away in shock, hand flying to his chest. He could feel his heart thundering away behind his ribcage, and he instinctively grabbed his bow, aiming it at the terrified-looking woman staring down at them from the truck's window. She splayed her hands on the glass, brown eyes practically popping from their sockets.

Behind her, a very familiar face materialised.

It was Ewan ━ the one nice person he met at Woodbury.

Daryl grabbed the door and threw it open. The woman hopped out, her hands held high to show she wasn't a threat, and Ewan jumped out after her. His entire body was shaking. He made eye-contact with Rick, and the sight of the gun poised in the man's hand, and the dangerous look glimmering in his eyes, was enough to make him shiver fearfully. Even in Woodbury, he'd been afraid. Now, here he was, venturing beyond the walls. He'd narrowly escaped a slaughter.