[ 028 ] dog days are over

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT !

[ season three, episode one ]

With one small tug at the pliers, Rick managed to create a gaping hole in the chain-link fence for the group to duck under.

The walkers stumbling around the field inside of the prison barricades had long since heard and noticed their presence, and they threw themselves at the fences either side of the narrow walkway. One walker in particular snapped rather maliciously in Marley's direction, poking its hand through the slots between the chain-link. She gripped her machete a little tighter as a precaution and ran along behind everyone else once Rick had managed to secure the splintered fence back together with a red cord.

At the end of the walkway, there was a fence. Once opened, the path merged onto a wider segment of pebbles ── right in front of the enormous gate that led into the undead-infested recreation field.

That's where they stopped.

Marley gripped her knees, bent over as she recollected her breath. Sage was gazing around incredulously, stepping back away from the chain-link when a walker clouded by insanity threw itself against it. For the most part, the dead were wearing prison overalls, but a few dotted around the stretch of green grass were prisoner officers and wardens.

"It's perfect." Rick murmured. He hadn't even taken a moment to get his breath back, and was already gazing longingly through the fence, up at the prison that wasn't quite within their reach yet. "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight."

Hershel, already on board with the idea, nodded toward the fencing, "So how do we shut the gate?"

"I'll do it." Glenn said. He stepped forward with his chest puffed out. "You guys cover me."

Marley spluttered, "Are you crazy?"

"It's a suicide run." Maggie added to Marley's skepticism about the man's ludicrous idea; always wanting to be the saviour.

"I'm the fastest." Glenn protested.

Rick shook his head, "No. You, Maggie, and Marley draw as many as you can over there." he pointed to a location near the closest watchtower ── the fence swarmed by growling walkers. "Pop 'em through the fence."

They nodded, but waited until the rest of the plan had been set in stone. Marley knew she had been sentenced to hand-combat because her skills using a gun were still not brilliant. Rick promised he would teach her. One day.