[ 048 ] one step back

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT!

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT!

[ season three, episode fifteen ]

"Have you seen Michonne?"

Beth shook her head in response to Theo's question, an expression of concern sliding over her previously stoic face. Theo was panic-stricken, clutching his compound bow tightly and swaying on his feet; he'd temporarily lost his lifeline. He was struggling to breathe. Without Michonne, he was alone in the prison, surrounded by a group of strangers that he'd known less than week.

He hadn't seen her since much earlier that day, and even then ━ she hadn't mentioned going on any wanders. Usually, she stuck around the cell block or helped clear walkers at the fence. She didn't tend to stray far from Theo; she liked him to be in her line of sight. But she had strayed too far, and now he couldn't find her anywhere. There was a blossoming war underway. She had to be more vigilant.

Beth rocked a gurgling Judith in her arms, a frown tugging at her brows, "Is she not in her cell?"

"No," Theo said, anxiously pushing a hand through his shock of unruly hair "I already checked. I haven't seen her for hours."

"Ask Rick, maybe?" Beth offered hopefully, "He usually knows everythin.'"

Pointedly, Theo looked around the otherwise vacant cell-block, which was desolate other than himself and Beth standing in the midst of the first floor, "Do you know where I'll find him?"

"Uh," Beth chewed on the inside of her cheek, readjusting Judith in her arms, "He was headed to the courtyard. He gave me Judy and said he'd be back ━ that's all I know."

Theo forced a smile to pull at his lips, "Thanks."

He twisted around and shot out of the side-door like a rocket. The sun gazed down on him from above, yet the air still held an icy bite. He wrapped his jacket around himself tightly, flipping his compound bow over his shoulder, letting it hang limply from its respective strap.

He squinted into the distance, eyes sweeping his surroundings in search of their leader. And he found Rick rather quickly ━ thanks to the notorious brown-jacket clinging to his torso and the Colt Python dangling between his fingers. He and Daryl were pacing the courtyard, talking incoherently. Theo practically sprinted to them, panting with anxiety-induced exertion.

Rick paled at the sight of the boy, "Theo?"

"Have you seen Michonne? I can't find her."