[ 046 ] better off dead

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER FORTY-SIX !

[ season three, episode eleven ]

Andrea was back.

Her blonde hair whipped around in the breeze behind her as she valiantly forced her way through the abundance of walkers invading the recreation field, using Michonne's tactic of masking her smell with a pet walker attached to a snare pole. She still bore the same terror-stricken expression that Theo remembered, often dominating her expression when she came into contact with the dead. She couldn't convince anyone she was over her fear of walkers with a face like that ━ like she'd just walked out of the theatre after a viewing of a horror film.

He used to find it funny. Now he didn't know how to feel about it. Why was she here? She picked her side. She abandoned him and Michonne, not the other way around.

Against better judgment, he left his compound bow in the cell block and followed the group to the gate to welcome Andrea.

"What do you think she's doing here?" he asked Michonne quietly.

She gave a shrug, "I don't know. The Governor might need a messenger, and she might have taken on that role. She always did like to play peacemaker."

Theo gnawed on his nails, "What if she's come back to us? We can't turn her away."

"She hasn't," Michonne said adamantly, "She chose her side, Theo. This isn't a reunion."

He turned his face away so she wouldn't notice the sullen look slowly weaving it's way across his expression. Being sad about Andrea was something he got over a few days after their departure from Woodbury ━ that's what he told himself and Michonne, anyway. He made it abundantly clear he was 'over it.' Michonne was too attentive to ignore a flicker of sadness in him. She'd question why. Why be sad over someone who doesn't care about them anymore?

You couldn't spend that long with somebody out on the road and just forget about them. Deep down he hoped Andrea did still care, even after all she'd done; turning against Michonne in the Governor's apartment after she sliced his eye.

But Theo was willing to forgive her if it meant having the third counterpart to their patchy trio back again. He wasn't sure if Michonne carried the same sentiment.

"Are you alone?" Rick demanded, looking around sceptically for any sign of Andrea's new friends.

"Open the gate!" was her breathless reply.