[ 049 ] we get to live

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE!

[ season three, episode sixteen ]

Glenn was back to parenting again.

"I don't think it's a good idea," he reprimanded, eyeing Marley nervously as she jammed a magazine into her rifle ━ albeit a little aggressively, "You should be going with Hershel and Beth."

"Why? 'Cause I'm vulnerable?" Marley retorted bitterly. She rolled her eyes and slung the rifle-strap over her shoulder, "I have two legs. I'm capable of holding and shooting a gun. I'm staying."

Glenn let out a defeated sigh, dropping his head against the side of the car, "Fine. But you have to look out for yourself."

"I will."

"I mean it. If I'm not looking or I get caught up, I won't be able to━"

"━I know," Marley interrupted hastily, "I can take care of myself. I did at Woodbury. The Governor has a limp and a wonky nose because of me. I'm not scared to attack him again."

He pressed his lips together, relenting with avid reluctance, "Alright. Just try to stay close."

"I'll stick to you like glue," she said.

She jerked her head in a nod and walked away. Everyone was scattered around the courtyard, prepping for the inevitable fight with the Governor. They were hiding their cars and supplies in the woods, making it look as though they'd ran before the war could start. But, in reality, they were planning an ambush. It was the only choice they had if they wanted to win. There was no doubt about it: the sick bastard was going to return with an army. After everything that had happened in the last few days, it was unavoidable.

His latest act of vengeance was taking Merle's life ━ that was what they assumed, anyway. Daryl found his brother's reanimated corpse yesterday ━ in a minefield of chewed-up dead bodies of those from Woodbury ━ with a bullet wound cutting through his stomach and milky-white eyes. Based on the surrounding evidence, Merle had taken down the Governor's best men in his last moments, giving the prison-dwellers a chance, and the Governor's only manner of revenge was through murder.

Merle Dixon had been murdered in cold blood.

Marley was indifferent on the matter. She appreciated his sudden act of selflessness, of course she did, but she would never forget the person Merle truly was; you couldn't change that fast. He tackled her to the ground, held a gun to her head, threatened her life. He led her, Glenn and Maggie to the depths of Woodbury, knowing what would become of them there. And he threw a walker at Glenn, beat him senseless.