[ 037 ] far from home

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN !

[ season three, episode six ]

Theo was unsure about this. Very unsure.

Almost as soon as they had left Woodbury, a pack of wolves ─ which is what Theo liked to call the Governor's pride-ravenous men ─ had been tracking them down. Hunting them. And Michonne's absolutely marvellous, brilliant, super-sane idea in retaliation? Don't become the prey; hunt them back. Become the predator.

She was either losing her mind, or feeling extremely vengeful.

As the morning dawned bright and early, both Theo and Michonne crouched in the foliage of a patch of overgrown shrubbery, which was strategically shadowed by the looming trees above. The blade of Michonne's katana twinkled in the sun's gleam, still caked in the crimson blood of the walkers they killed last night. Theo had his bow locked and loaded, propped against his armpit.

Merle and his men were coming ─ it really wasn't difficult to miss their arrival.

Four of them barrelled into the clearing ahead, loud and overbearing, arguing amongst one another. Words mingled together, but their agitation was crystal clear: Michonne had slipped from their grasp once again, and Theo was nowhere to be seen. As a result, the soldiers were forced to continue searching the woods ─ swimming through the humid mugginess beaming down from the early morning sun ─ simply because they couldn't return to Woodbury empty-handed. Couldn't disappoint their Governor. And they looked angry. They looked tired. They looked miserable.

Good.

That made winning a whole lot easier.

Theo shifted his weight onto his left foot, readjusting his grip around his bow. A twig snapped in half beneath his shoe. He winced. The crack the broken stick emitted was loud enough to draw the wolves' attention, and they whirled around in unison, pointing their weapons at the foliage. Theo pressed his back to the closest tree, and Michonne followed suit. They were disguised, for now.

"What's the deal, y'all?" Merle taunted. There was a slight waver of fear in his voice, but he disguised it well. Very well. "Hmm? You gonna leap out the woods, two against four, all of us armed to the teeth against Michonne with a little pig-sticker and a kid? Nah." 

Theo turned to Michonne, frowning ─ Merle was seriously underestimating him, and they knew it. Just because he was a kid didn't mean he was incapable of defending himself. He would prove if it he had to. When he had to. Michonne, however, pressed a finger to her lips, urging her accomplice to remain silent.