[ 010 ] songs of innocence

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER TEN !

[ season two, episode three ]

It was still dark out when Glenn's dilapidated car rumbled over the gravel of foreign territory.

They were forced to leave the highway for their own safety. T-Dog desperately needed medical help, and soon . . . before it was too late. If these people were relieving Carl of a gunshot wound, then T-Dog was going to be in safe hands.

The car jerked forward, slowing slightly. Curious, Marley glanced out of the back window.

A large, white farmhouse was situated at the end of the windy dirt-road that Glenn was hesitantly following. If the sun was shining, perhaps Marley would have been able to see the abnormally large fields stretching as far as the eye could see, enclosed by a fence that trailed along the farm for miles. In the far corner of the farm, an enormous wooden barn was draped in shadows. Beside it stood a stable, presumably the home to horses.

It was . . . beautiful.

The place was certainly safer than the highway. Not to mention the clear presence of other . . . humans — the blaring lights seeping through the house's drawn curtains a clear indication of that.

The car finally came to a sputtering halt.

From the back seat, Marley could hear T-Dog's teeth chattering in front, and he tugged at the blanket draped around his shoulders in an attempt to stifle more body-heat. There was a beat of silence before Marley sniffed, interlacing her fingers and poking her head through the gap between the two front seats.

"Are we, uh, going to get out?"

Glenn flinched slightly, glancing over his shoulder at the young girl. "Oh, uh — yeah. Yeah."

He pressed the handle and, with a click, his door swung open. With heavy-eyes, T-Dog mirrored the Korean's actions on the passenger side.

Marley gnawed on her lower lip as she watched the pair stumble over the farm's terrain. Meeting new people had never boded well with her, ever since she was young. It was frightening, in a way, not knowing if the strangers she met were worthy of trust and friendship. Sage, on the other hand, never seemed to mind it.

In fact, the youngest Whitman pressed her fingertips against Marley's shoulder and gave her a slight nudge toward the closed door.