[ 008 ] knells and echoes

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER EIGHT !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER EIGHT !

[ season two, episode two ]

"What's your favourite colour?"

Intrigued, Marley cocked her head to the side to peer at Glenn. She was bored, and the only way to curb the humdrum of traipsing through the seemingly endless forest was to ask questions. This was the sixth one in five minutes.

Glenn shrugged, "Red, probably."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Cool."

They lapsed into a silence almost immediately. Marley could see Glenn was not at all interested in continuing their Q&A — far more determined to locate Sophia before nightfall. The group had split around midday, and he was growing relatively anxious about Rick, Shane and Carl's possible whereabouts — wondering if they were okay, or if they had located Sophia. Not only that, but the immeasurable fear of stumbling into the path of ravenous walkers at any given moment — and fighting for their survival on a mere slither of willpower and energy — gnawed away at the edge of his gut. Glenn scratched his head, adjusted his cap, and peered over his shoulder.

It had gone from bad to terrible in a matter of minutes.

They heard a gunshot about ten minutes ago. A rumble of gunpowder rolling through the air in the distance. Some were far more concerned then the others. Lori, for example, had stopped to turn and glance around at their surroundings an uncountable amount of times. She was worried about her husband, son, and . . . well, Shane. For the first time since the start of the apocalypse, she was on her own. Amongst the group, there was no judgment directed toward Lori's obvious struggles adapting to independence.

At least, most of them didn't bat an eyelid her way.

Marley knitted her fingers together and tried not to think about it — the gunshot and Lori's avid concern. With a delicate flick of her wrist, she swung her machete forward so the elongated blade merely shivered in the breeze, dangling by her thigh.

It didn't pose an immediate threat to severing somebody's legs, so Marley continued swinging the weapon.

She turned to Glenn again, humming a wistful tune beneath her breath. He was staring at the ground.

"Do you like . . . brussel sprouts?"

What?