[ 040 ] time moves slow

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER FORTY !

[ season three, episode eight ]

Dusk was upon them.

The group of unlikely participants had banded together to retrieve the hostages, and trust was the main component keeping them together, despite it being a scarce and difficult thing to obtain, most especially with strangers.

Fortunately enough, this trust meant Theo had been given his compound bow and that baseball bat back, and Michonne was partnered with her katana once more, so things were running smoothly as can be for the meantime.

Rick, Daryl, Sage and Oscar ─ the volunteers from the prison ─ crept up to an old, abandoned car situated just in front of Woodbury's main gate. It shielded them from the unsuspecting guards strolling across the wall up ahead.

"All right," Rick murmured, peering through the scope of his rifle at the armed guards. "We've got three on this side."

Unanticipatedly ─ before any more words could be spoke or orders barked ─ Michonne scurried backward and disappeared into the darkness, headed in the direction from which they just came. Theo's mouth fell agape, heart thrumming viciously. She wasn't seriously leaving him alone with these strangers who wouldn't hesitate to put his head on a spike, was she?

"Michonne!" he hissed after her retreating silhouette. "Hey!"

Everyone turned to look incredulously at the empty spot Michonne once stood. Rick was particularly annoyed by the woman's unprecedented abandonment, and his gaze immediately zoned in on Theo ─ he was Michonne's accomplice, therefore easy to blame, despite having had no notion she would flee from them so close to the walls. Regardless, Theo shrunk at the intensity in Rick's eyes.

"You, stay." the man growled, his bared teeth reflecting the huge overhead torches bearing down on them from Woodbury's walls. He punched a magazine into his rifle, "Damn it."

Only a few moments later, however, Michonne reappeared.

She whistled sharply to catch the groups' attention. The moment everyone had eyes on her, albeit some narrowed suspiciously, Michonne gestured to someplace on the left.

Apparently, she had found them a way inside. Of course; Theo should've known better than to underestimate her.

She told them to hop over an unguarded segment of the wall, shadowed by overgrown trees that were sprouting from the ground directly beside the stacked sheets of metal. Behind that, an unlocked window led them into a dimly-lit room which looked out onto the streets of Woodbury. The surrounding walls were lined by an array of shelving units, all of which were overflowing with different condiments ─ food, mostly.