✧ skyla_jess

We interviewed Skyla_Jess the winner of Poetry Category with their book 'Near & Dear'

• • •

Hi, please tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to know about Wattpad.

Hi! I'm Skyla, ppl call me Jess and I'm fine with either. I found out about Wattpad through this fandom of VLD and I read fanfics here. That's just it.

What inspired you to start writing?──────

Well, my inspiration for writing here is that I want to know people's reactions to my works. Like how they like it, what they think about it, and stuff. Since I'm not exactly very confident in showing ppl my work in real life I posted them on Wattpad.

What time of the day do you usually write, and why that time?──────

I don't really have a particular time for writing. I write whenever I get ideas or just feel like it. Once I even woke up in the middle of the night 'cause I got an idea for a poem.

Do you have a favourite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?──────

My fav character that I've written for now is Thomas. He was a spoilt brat who didn't do any good but eventually became kind and caring when directed towards the right direction.

Who has been the biggest supporter of your writing?──────

All my lovely likers, readers, friends, and followers have been a great support to me on Wattpad. They read my work and comment on what they think about it, which gives me the motivation to write more.

What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?──────

Well, I can't really call him an author but I'd like the one and only Williams Shakespeare to be my mentor. I love the way he has written his poetries and plays, and how well they portray his message. I also like the way he added his own words to the language.

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal, and why?──────

As a writer, I'd choose my spirit animal to be a wolf. Call me weird and childish but I've done those quizzes that people do on the internet too. Wolf symbolizes intelligence and a connection with our instincts. It also symbolizes the desire for freedom, i.e we can work along with our group or 'pack' but we can also flourish when we're on our own.

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don't feel emotions strongly?──────

According to me, yes, anyone can be a writer. Whether they feel emotions strongly or not. But when one feels the emotions and writes them, the work comes out better because they are feeling the emotions of their work and it shows in the way they've portrayed their work.

Name an underappreciated book that you love──────

There is this book 'Heart-Written Poems' by @Lone-Wolf_ that I absolutely love and think needs more appreciation.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?──────

I'm into the VLD fandom and right now I have some one-shots planned that I'm going to post on AO3 soon.

Finally, how do you celebrate when you finish your book?──────

I don't really celebrate after I finish my book. Once I complete writing I give my book for reviewing so that I get to know what I can do better.

• • •

Thank you very much for your time!