✧ thealixdavenport

TheAlixDavenport
Winning Book : Taming the Hellbeast
Genre Won : Werewolf / Vampire

• • •

Hi, please tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to know about Wattpad.

I'm Alix Davenport. I'm forty-four years old and live in Copenhagen, Denmark, so that makes me fluent in certified gibberish as my native tongue. I'm fairly new on the English language writing scene, but I've been tapping away since my dad gave me a typewriter as a kid, and I've written in Danish (fiction/work related) since my early teens. After having slowly lost my eyesight, I gave up on writing, but eye lens replacement surgery in 2019 gave me back my sight and a new lease on life, including the dream to write. I just wanted my work out there, wanted to see if people liked my stories, and Wattpad seemed the right choice to connect internationally with readers and writers.

What inspired the idea for your book?

I had read a lot of books online, werewolf stories, and I liked the concept, though I was getting a bit tired with the overused tropes of a beaten and insignificant female lead and the overly confident and macho alpha male. I'm not knocking those who write that, I've read beautifully executed stories with those tropes, they were just not for me to write. I came up with my book to counter those.

I wanted a strong female, a leader, somebody who did not need a man to be somebody but wanted one for love and personal gratification, and still be powerful in her own right. And I wanted the male lead to be flawed. Yes, powerful and macho (I'm a sucker for alpha males) but not traditionally so. More of a washout turned reluctant hero kind of thing.

What does the title of your book mean? How does it relate to the story?

Ok, that's a good question. Taming the Hellbeast does ring like it's a story about a brutish male who needs a woman to tame him and become what he was meant to be. I even had a judge knock me down a peg about that, because the title had been misinterpreted, and she called it generic. In actuality, it's a self-reflecting title. It's about Jax, the male lead, learning to tame the beast inside and his powers. About him realizing what he can do, good or evil, and then decide for himself which route to take.

Is your main character someone you would get along with? Give your reason(s)

Yeah, I believe I'd get along with Jax. He likes to drink and party, he has no clue about what normalcy is but he somehow longs for it. I’m the same and I think we’d have some fun talking about weird stuff and things that we wonder about.

If you had the decision to rewrite any of your books, which one would it be and why?

It would probably be Nobles. I guess Russian Roulette: Family secrets could do a work over. But a rewrite would be Nobles. It’s very heavy on dialogue, and I’d like to balance that out more since I’ve evolved a lot since I wrote that book. It’s a sweet romance, and it could do with more descriptions and maybe some more space for each of the many characters to shine.

What book genre is your favorite? Why?

Hmm. I like to read romance. Often the dark kind or erotic. But I have a personal love for MxM stories for some reason. And I like mysteries/thrillers/suspense. There’s something about sitting there and guessing along with the clues left by the author. I’ve always done that, and I’m annoyingly good at figuring things out.

If you were to write a spin-off about a side character, which would you pick?

Well, I already have spin-offs from Taming the Hellbeast in progress. Blood Sworn is one about another pack situated on The Eternal Mountain. And I have one, not yet published, about the dragons of the book. It holds many characters, and some deserve their stories told. How many I’ll manage to write about, time will tell.

Have you ever tried to write a novel for a genre you rarely or never read?

No. I don’t believe I would be able to write a genre I hadn’t read and felt at least a modicum of knowledge of. I wouldn’t do it justice, and that would show to the readers of that genre and make it come off as sloppy work.

Do you have any unpublished books or drafts on Wattpad? If yes, why haven't you published it? If no, does it mean you don't plan on writing any books again?

No, I don’t put drafts on Wattpad, I keep everything on my computer until I feel ready to publish it. That doesn’t mean I don’t have more coming. I’ve got fourteen ongoing works and plenty of ideas for more. Still, there are only twenty-four hours in a day, and I have to divide my time to focus on a few projects at a time. I’ll get around to them eventually if there’s a readership for the stories.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers?

Yes. Right now, I’m updating twice a week on my MxM romantic suspense Russian Roulette: Flashbacks, which is the sequel to Russian Roulette: Family secrets that I completed uploading in the spring of this year. It’s a book told in flashbacks from the view of the main characters on their wedding day, looking back on a decade of events that led them to the big day. How they met, fell in love, and all the obstacles they were faced along the way to finally be able to say, ‘I do’. And then I’m working on the third book in the series, but that’s a slow process when having so much else to write and read.

Share a photo – favourite place, favourite food, favourite animal, etc.

Well, I bake in my spare time. So, that’s one of my creations for a friend’s birthday party.

F I N D  •  T H E  •  A U T H O RInstagram - @the_alix_davenportFacebook - @alix

Instagram - @the_alix_davenport
Facebook - @alix.davenport.romances