✧ strawberrycries

We interviewed strawberrycries, the winner of Chick Lit Category with their book ‘Kiss Me At Midnight’

• • •

What inspired you to start writing?──────

I have always loved writing, since I was a kid and used to write every single day in my journal. When I was 16 I went through a messy break up and found comfort among the words and the small poetic texts I could create with them. But what actually inspired me to write a book was Wattpad and some of the amazing books in here. During the quarantine my mental health was getting worse and here was my safe place. I was amazed by so many authors here and one day the idea for the book just popped in my mind. I simply felt inspired and safe to write and publish here.

What time of the day do you usually write, and why that time?──────

I usually write at night, sometimes writing all night long until the sun rises the next morning. For me it is easier to write when everyone is sleeping and the city is so peaceful, it feels like I am the only person in the world.

Do you have a favourite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?──────

Elena is my main character and my favorite too. I just relate so much with her and she is not perfect - she is flaw and she makes a lot of mistakes, but that is also why I love her so much. She has a lot of me and writing her helps me to know myself better and to accept all my flaws too.

Who has been the biggest supporter of your writing?──────

It is so difficult to point only one person. I have met so many amazing people here and some of my real life friends have been by my side since the first day. I wish I could tag every single amazing person that has supported me, but if I can only say one person then it would be my ex. It is so funny to say it, but he was the reason I started writing more and more each day and he is an amazing friend (even though our romantic relationship didn’t work).

He read all my ideas and helped me arrange all the plot. And, more than anything, he was my first love, I wouldn’t be the person I am today with all my baggage and maturity if it wasn’t for what we went through. This book is all about it, how you can love and sometimes it doesn’t work, how a person can change you in so many ways.

What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?──────

This question is so difficult. I think I would choose Karin Slaughter because her descriptions are so good (who has read my book knows how much I love writing descriptions) and her female characters are strong, but still so broken and complex. It would be a pleasure to have her reading my work and mentoring me.

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal, and why?──────

I would choose wolf. They are so smart and observant. They, also, trust a lot in their instincts and have deep emotional connections. And that is all I look for as a writer - be smart, be observant, trust myself and be able to convey all deep feelings.

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?──────

I think so, however it would be so much more difficult. It is hard to write about something you haven’t experienced or researched a lot about. And you can even try to get inspired by other works when it comes to showing feelings, but it is not the same. Emotions are so unique and when you feel a lot, the words simply come to life. You can feel all the emotions when writing, either it is about love or hate, about happy or sad feelings.

Name an underappreciated book that you love──────

Only one? “First There Was You” by toriatobin. It is an amazing book and I simply adore her writing, the story is so unique and the words are like poetry.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?──────

I am working in my Mendes Girls series. “Kiss Me At Midnight” is the first book of the series and I can’t wait to write the other 3/4 books. Each one of them will have a different main character, but it all happens in the same universe and the characters from the other books appear again throughout the whole series. I really hope people like this idea.

Finally, how do you celebrate when you finish your book?──────

I intend to celebrate with a bottle of wine and a crazy night that I won’t remember much in the next morning. But it will take a while until it is finished (till there I can celebrate some others milestone with some drinks and fun too, hehe)

• • •

Thank you very much for your time!