✧ marsaumell

We interviewed marsaumell, the winner of Science Fiction / Fantasy with their book 'Amanita : Poison Shot'

• • •

What inspired you to start writing?─────

I usually get the inspiration to start writing when I see something controversial, something that will trigger drama, someone or something that can be easily misunderstood and hated even though they might not deserve such an ill treatment. Or maybe they do, but only partially. I want to give them a voice to explain themselves, a chance to be both loved and hated for who they really are.

What time of the day do you usually write, and why that time?─────

I usually write for as long as there's daylight. I love reading and writing about dark subject matters, but I hate being physically in a dark environment. It makes me nervous!

Do you have a favourite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?─────

Yes, I've got two, actually. Gabi (in "Amanita: Poison Shot"), and Lynx (in "Willow Tree and Lynx"). They don't differ much in personality, because both fill in the role of the idiot clown. I love them because they can ease the tension when I or the other characters need it.

Who has been the biggest supporter of your writing?────── 

I've been feeling quite alone until recently, I mean, until I joined Wattpad. Only some teachers would say they loved my writing, but I assumed it was because of good grammar and such!

What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?─────

I'm in love with Fitzgerald. If he were alive, I'd love him to be my mentor. If I had to pick one who is actually alive and well, I'd pick Neil Gaiman (The Sandman, Coraline), Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), or Hayao Miyazaki (Mononoke Princess). Oh, and there's also Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko (Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra)!

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal, and why?─────

I'd choose one of my deceased pets, my dear Keko (a dog). Ever since he died, I've never bonded well with another one, to be honest. I would love to have him back by my side.

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don't feel emotions strongly?─────

Possibly. But I've read books and watched films in which the characters make little use of words and/or emotions (like the simpler, the better), and yet they're able to trigger the strongest emotions in me by the time they're done. Sometimes everything bursts inside the audience's mind when the characters are silent, frozen, or completely gone from the story. For example, "The Best Offer" (entitled "Deception" in the UK) is really soft in terms of script-writing and acting vs emotions... until you get to the end, when the truth is exposed by the mere absence of the female leading role – and then you get the title.

Name an underappreciated book that you love──────

"Nothing", by Jane Teller. I didn't know John Green had posted a comment about it on Twitter (and I think it got somehow famous after that). I read it a long time ago, in 2011. Critiques range from Love to Hate, no in-betweens. Honestly, it's an amazing novel. Short and nihilistic – to the point it might get you extremely nervous. But it works. Its aim is to fuel discussion on the meaning of life, whether there's one to begin with. And getting an education. I know that the meaning of life is an extremely personal issue, but you get these 7th graders riled up, arguing, and trying to prove a point to a fellow classmate who's bragging about being home-schooled (but he's a lazy ass all the time, tbh). I love this kind of books because they're good for debate.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?──────

Apart from Amanita, I'm also working on finishing "Willow Tree and Lynx", a Fantasy & Romance story. At the moment, it's got 6 chapters, and I'm planning to finish it soon, at 10 chapters.

Finally, how do you celebrate when you finish your book?──────

Now, that's a good idea! So far, I have never celebrated finishing a story. I simply enrol on my next writing mission like a blind idiot in love with a new concept. Maybe I should stop and celebrate for once! Lol!

• • •

Thank you very much for your time!