01 | prologue

↱  in which things take a turn

in which
things take a turn

RED IS A HORRIBLY VERSATILE COLOR.

On one hand, red can be beautiful roses swaying in the wind, or the love between two childhood friends destined to be lovers since the beginning. On the other, it could be dark, ugly blood streaking down a cold lifeless body.

Perception, is the word that suits said way of thinking. It matters how one perceives the color, their mental state, their current hardships, their past experiences.

Red is not a color meant for people who are unsure of themselves. Red is one or the other.

Scarlett supposed it suited her.

Scarlett knew she wasn't the friendliest. Scarlett knew she was passionate. Scarlett knew she was the other way to perceive red.

And through all the trouble she's been, it's given her a sense of comfort knowing she's someone who is aware. Never would she have to wonder how to act or what to say, because she was sure of herself.

Scarlett embodied the color red, the other perception of the color red.

Scarlett had never been unsure of herself, it was the most unfamiliar feeling she'd ever felt.

How many people would she have to lose before she started feeling unsure?

Not only did it make her feel unsure, she was furious.

She had the burning sensation in her chest, the grinding of her teeth, the heart pounding against her chest, the red hot anger.

She saw red.

There she was again, living up to her name.

"I've just been informed that, due to unfortunate events, your adoptive parents, Martha and Reynold Toussaint, have passed."

Those who she expected would never leave her, had done so.

The anger stayed.

"I'm sorry for your loss. And I'm sorry you had to find out this way," the woman said blandly.

Scarlett guessed she wasn't actually sorry, she was just saying that.

"What unfortunate events?" Scarlett backfired hoarsely, her chest heavy.

"Additionally," the woman spoke again, voicelessly denying Scarlett a proper answer. "The Home is asking for you to return, since you no longer have a legal guardian, they've expressed that it's unsafe for you to continue attending Beauxbatons. Seeing as they're muggles and believe that you attend a muggle boarding school. This is completely out of my hands."

"Go back?" Scarlett repeated, bringing her gaze to the woman's emotionless eyes. "I've managed to stay safe here just fine, what difference is it now that my parents are dead?"