23 | not against you

↱  in whichthe story's inthe eyes

in which
the story's in
the eyes

     LOOK, EVERYTHING was going fine until they called his name.

Scarlett had eventually cooled down from her little 'disagreement' with Harry after much consoling from Ariah and Daphne (mostly Ariah since Daphne tried convincing Scarlett to fight the bespectacled boy and she began to consider it).

The day had been going as planned, she watched Adelaide put her name in the Goblet of Fire, ate breakfast with her friends, and mingled around campus until it was time for the Halloween dinner and the decision of the three Triwizard Champions.

Scarlett was on the edge of her seat the whole dinner, constantly tapping her water goblet and twisting the rings on her fingers to soothe her anxiety. Deep down, she really hoped Adelaide didn't get chosen. Of course, she would still be proud if it did happen, but there was still a chance of death. Scarlett wasn't ready to lose her friend just when she came back.

She didn't think Adelaide wanted her name picked either, as if the weight of the whole thing finally caught up to the blonde girl and it was too late to back out, which it was.

"I think the Goblet is just about ready to make its decision now," Dumbledore announced, causing everyone in the hall to quiet down

The candles in the Great Hall blew out with a wave of Dumbledore's hand, plunging them into a state of semidarkness. The Goblet of Fire now shone more brightly than anything in the whole Hall, the sparkling bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames almost painful on the eyes. Everyone watched, waiting.

Scarlett looked around at her friends, noticing the way the light reflected onto their nerve-filled faces.

The flames inside the goblet turned suddenly red. Sparks began to fly from it. The next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it; the whole room gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum."

"You've got to be bloody joking!" yelled Theo, slamming his fists on the table as a storm of applause and cheering swept the Hall. Viktor Krum rose from the Slytherin table and slouched up toward Dumbledore; he turned right, walked along the staff table, and disappeared through the door into the next chamber.

"Someone's not happy," Scarlett shouted to Blaise over the applause, gesturing to Theo who had a sour look on his face.

"Ireland won the stupid Cup, you don't get to be upset," Blaise frowned at him.

"You're only saying it's stupid cause Bulgaria lost," Theo countered.

"What if I am?"

The clapping and chatting died down. Now everyone's attention was focused again on the goblet, which, seconds later, turned red once more. A second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames.