09 | close ties

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

↱  in whichshe needs her tie fixed

in which
she needs her tie fixed

      "THIS HUGE CASTLE, and they couldn't give us separate rooms?"

Scarlett stared blankly at the dormitory from her spot in the doorway. Underwhelming, was the word for it.

At Beauxbatons, every student got their own room in a dorm.

Daphne cackled, falling backwards into her bed. "Get used to it. You're stuck with us for the rest of the year."

The next afternoon, her first day of classes, Scarlett was walking with Daphne and Ariah to Divination. Her classes had gone by smoothly for the most part, but her favorite had to be Transfiguration.

And not because of a certain teacher or anything like that.

The first thing she thought when she climbed up the ladder into the divination class was: ew.

It smelled like lavender and citrus, but not in a good way.

In the middle of the circular room stood a thin woman with round glasses that enlarged her eyes to the size of a fly's and frizzy blonde curls.

Professor Trelawney was definitely different. She didn't have much of a filter, she just said what she wanted to whenever she wanted to.

She was cool.

Scarlett eventually zoned out, looking around the dimly lit room. Just sitting there made her drowsy, with the professor's ominous future telling and the tacky perfume sprayed all around the room, it was hard not to fall asleep.

She couldn't help but feel a pair of eyes on her, but she didn't dare turn around to see who they belonged to. Part of her had an idea who it was.

Wherever she'd look, she found Harry Potter's bright green eyes staring right back at her. Then again, everyone in Hogwarts stared at her, she was the new girl, and she was different from them. It definitely didn't make her feel welcome.

"And what is in your cup, my dear?"

Scarlett snapped back into reality, fumbling for the fine china and looking at the tea leaves in the cup. She looked from the pile of nothingness to Daphne across from her, then back down.

"It looks kind of like..." Scarlett flipped through her textbook, trying to find a reasonable picture. "A sun? Great prosperity."

Daphne looked at the girl across from her in boredom, slowing chewing her bubblegum. Her lips tugged upwards, clamped tightly together in a horrible attempt to not laugh.

"Great job, dear!" Trelawney smiled, turning around to go bug Harry and Ron at their table.

Scarlett swiveled in the seat expectantly, staring with her eyebrows raised and a smirk that hid her laughter. Harry was already looking at her when she turned, so she gave a small nod in acknowledgment.