24 | la compromission des cœurs

↱  in whichit's the compromisingof hearts

in which
it's the compromising
of hearts

THE FIRST TASK wasn't even all that exciting.

It was supposed to be a dangerous, life-threatening thing, but they all survived. Where was the fun in that?

Scarlett's lips were sealed the entire time Harry was in the arena, though she still watched with interest as he swooped around the dragon on his broom. She wasn't even shocked when she saw the enormous creature thrashing against its restraints, it seemed fitting for Hogwarts.

After the first task, the castle was buzzing with excitement, talking about the winner, Krum. Unfortunately, Harry had tied for second place along with Cedric.

Over the next few days, the enthusiasm died down and everything almost seemed normal. That was until the professors dropped a bomb on them all. Figuratively, of course. Though Scarlett was beginning to wish the metaphor would come true.

It was a Thursday in the first week of December and the end of Snape's lesson was nearing. She couldn't have been happier as she watched the clock tick by, her bag already packed even though the professor was still droning on. But he suddenly stopped.

"There's something the school is requiring you all to know," Snape said in his nasally voice, but he looked even more annoyed than usual which automatically caught Scarlett's attention. Anything that made Snape angry was something that made her extremely happy.

"The... Yule Ball is approaching— a traditional part of the Tri-wizard Tournament," the professor paused, heaving a loud sigh. "...And an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. The ball will be open only to fourth years and above although you may invite a younger student if you wish —"

Scarlett caught Daphne's gasp as realization settled in the blonde girl. With a smile on her face, she nudged the girl sitting next to her who had the complete opposite expression.

A ball? In the midst of this dangerous tournament Hogwarts was hosting a ball. How delightful.

"Dress robes will be worn," Snape continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Please be on your best behaviors."

The bell rang and immediately the classroom sprang into loud chatter and the sound of students packing up.

"So that's why we had to bring dresses this year!" Daphne squealed as she shoved her book in her bag harshly, disregarding the sound of crumbling papers. "We're having an actual, real life ball!"