02 | a sentence to hell

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

↱   in which she's back to where she began

↱   in which
she's back to where she began

   ON RARE OCCASIONS, Scarlett was glad to be despised by everyone who got to know her.

On extremely rare occasions, she was furious that she decided to style herself the way she did.

Maybe if she hadn't had either of those traits, she wouldn't be pulling her trunk along the concrete, blanketed by the sun's mild heat.

Mild.

It would've felt mild if she hadn't worn the warmest clothes she owned; a long sleeved, baggy brown shirt, loosely fitted denim jeans.

She was asking for the heat, she thought.

She wouldn't even be trudging down the empty sidewalk if it wasn't for her horrible interaction with the cab driver that picked her up earlier that day.

He deserved everything. And she had no regrets.

"Scarlett..." the man in the black cab hesitated, sticking his slicked back brunette head of hair out of the window and staring at the girl. "Tuh - saint..?"

Scarlett nodded and proceeded to shove her trunk into the car, sliding into the backseat of the cab next to her trunk, and closing the door behind her.

"It's Toussaint," she corrected blandly, leaning her head back.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, I'm from the states," he apologized, scratching the few brown hairs across his chin and looking sheepishly at her through his mirror. "The United-"

"I'm aware. You're fine," Scarlett interrupted, looking down to pick at her nails.

"You look a bit young to be alone out here, anyone accompanying you, missy?" the driver asked brightly, beginning to drive off from the train station.

Scarlett inhaled deeply, hoping her words weren't dripping with annoyance, she said, "No one. Anyone accompanying you?"

"I actually moved here a couple months ago, with my wife, she loves it here. This is her home, she has a lot of family here because she grew up here. We had our wedding here back in December. Now I'm just trying to get us out of our apartment, we still love it though."

Scarlett supposed he continued his story after that, but she didn't care to listen, feeling her eyelids slowly falling from their regular placement, sending her into a long-needed nap.

She was shortly awoken by the loud laughter of the cab driver, his hand slapping the steering wheel a couple times.

"Oh, Rosie, she cracks me up sometimes. That reminds me of the time she cracked her knuckles so loudly, I thought someone was knocking on the door," he wheezed, making himself shake his head with a bright smile on his face.