03 | tear stained letter

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

↱   in whichan opportunity arises

↱   in which
an opportunity arises

   THE DEAFENING SHATTER of glass rang throughout the first floor.

"CHILDREN!"

The two teenagers quickly rushed for the broom and dustpan, sweeping up all the shattered glass, but not before Ms. Harper came dashing into the kitchen.

"Toussaint! Atticus! I assigned you a simple task of washing the dishes, not tearing down the entire kitchen!"

"It's a cup, Sue. I promise you'll live," Scarlett rolled her eyes, throwing the glass pieces into the trash.

"And you can promise you'll have the chore of cleaning dishes tomorrow night!" Ms. Harper shouted, Scarlett swore she saw spit leave her mouth. "Both of you!"

Ms. Harper stomped back into her office, leaving Atticus and Scarlett annoyed and with an extra chore.

"Thanks for running your big mouth, Toussaint," Atticus sighed, turning back to dry the wet dishes Scarlett had just washed.

"It's always a pleasure."

It had only been a month since Scarlett's parents were pronounced dead and she was kicked out of her school. She hadn't gone a single night without crying. Her white pillowcase was stained with tears, and her blanket had been torn in many places. She needed something to shred, to get her anger and frustration and sadness out on, the thin white blanket was just asking to be a victim.

"Scrub faster, I'm tired," Atticus yawned, leaning on the dirty kitchen counter with a towel in his hand.

"I don't remember asking."

"Piss off."

Scarlett flicked water at the brunette, rolling her eyes in the process. She never would've admitted it, but she missed Atticus.

Okay, that was a lie. she only missed Atticus a little, but she mostly missed not being so different.

She didn't have any of the happy childhood memories her friends at Beauxbatons had. Obviously.

Elijah and Adelaide, for some reason, tried to understand her. Something that nobody had ever tried to do.

It was weird to find people who actually cared.

With Atticus, he already understood since they had the same childhood. He was a friend to her, and she was a friend to him. They'd both been at the Home since before they could remember, and they both had been through the same experiences.

That night, after the two had finished with their chore, they snuck quietly back into the sleeping quarters, creeping past the beds of sleeping children.