08 | the dirty old hat

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

↱  in whichshe gets sorted

in which
she gets sorted

WITH ITS MANY TOWERS and turrets, Hogwarts castle stood at least seven stories high on a huge rocky cliff. The castle's lights shone brightly with the velvety night sky behind it, painted with purple and blue hues like watercolor on a canvas.

The students were all lively with conversation, the main topic being of Sirius Black. Scarlett still didn't know who that was. Hermione had given her a very vague answer when asked about it on the train.

"A murderer," Hermione had whispered, than began to assess Harry and what he saw when he blacked out.

As their carriages rolled through the mud and rain, the lights of the castle became more clear.

Although, despite its glamorous look, Hogwarts was already unbearable.

Everywhere she went, Scarlett was met with either terrified gazes or rude comments. The halls of Hogwarts were buzzing with chatter about the French girl.

The people despised her, and she had absolutely no idea why.

"I don't understand what I did," Scarlett chuckled half-heartedly after receiving a distasteful look from an entire group of girls.

"I can't believe you're hanging out with her after what she did to you," one boy said to Harry as the four of them walked towards the Great Hall.

Scarlett scoffed in disbelief.

"Miss Toussaint, how was your trip?" greeted a voice from next to her.

"Take a guess," she immediately replied without a glance over at the person. Her gaze traveled upwards at the taller woman speaking to her, eyes wide in quick realization.

"I suppose that's my fault for asking, isn't it?" Professor McGonagall said with the hint of a smile on her thin lips.

Scarlett shrugged with a grin.

"I'd like to see the three of you in my office — move along Weasley."

Ron looked up with furrowed eyebrows, then walked sadly into the Great Hall.

While Harry and Hermione trailed behind McGonagall, Scarlett picked up her pace to stride right beside her.

"Why does everyone already hate me, Professor?"

"I'm sure that's not true," McGonagall replied hastily, earning a shake of her head from Scarlett.

The group reached her office, a small room with a large, welcoming fire, and were invited to sit down.