this is an intermission

"Ah, you're awake."

She sees the way his eyes readjust towards the light before closing again. The sharp light was too much in that moment, but ever-so-composed, he returns the greeting.

"Yes."

She sets something down on the table, causing Kurapika to inwardly wince. How funny was it that his body reacted as if he was having a hangover to the sound of silverware clinking against one another?

She takes his silence as a request for him to be let alone. The Kurta survivor was surely grateful for that when she exists the room (or move to a different corner of it). He takes the time to fully compose himself: sit up, adjust whatever needed to be adjusted, and "fully" wake up. Sleeping on couches wasn't ever comfortable, but he couldn't bring himself to leave the couch once his energy depleted.

Maybe he should've listened to that doctor-in-training's advice after all.

He had been unconscious for 48 hours. The entire Phantom Troupe dilemma drained him heavily, but Kurapika kept pushing himself to his limits in order to achieve his lifelong goal. No, his lifelong mission. No, his only reason for existing.

(His fist gripped the fabric over his knees. He again appreciated that the girl wasn't near to hear the crack of his grit teeth.)

"Kurapika?"

He looks up at his name to see (Name)'s expression.

"I'm okay."

"Remember Leorio's schedule?"

"I got it."

"Wake up, eat and drink, and make sure to move-"

"Got it."

He can't tell if he was exasperated or still groggy from tiredness. Either way, the girl stopped, frowned for a moment, before turning away. Kurapika didn't focus on what she was doing, instead looking down at what she placed on the table.

Leorio had him on a schedule until he 'no longer looked like shit'. 

(It was a description he had been hearing the following time since he's been awake: Leorio and Killua being the main culprits. He could read the same words on (Name)'s face, but Gon was the only one that differed.)

It was a tray of a tamagoyaki. Leorio argued that he needed to keep up his intake of protein, that he was "pushing himself too close" with his obsessive behavior (Leorio didn't call it obsessive, but he can feel it on the tip of his tongue. Or perhaps Kurapika was still bitter because of the way things ended recently). It looked appetizing enough. He was surprised he hadn't smelled the aroma the moment it was sat before him.

Reaching out (originally for chopsticks before he corrected the course to the beverage beside it), Kurapika took a large gulp. It was green tea - cold instead of hot, and he wondered if they had brewed it for themselves. Or, most likely, tried to wake him up beforehand.

He must have been really exhausted not to notice it.

(Name) returns to sit on the floor besides him. He felt awkward that he was on the couch and she was on the floor, but he doesn't say anything about it. Instead, he asks:

"Where's Leorio?"

"Went out for more supplies."

"Did you make this, then?"

"No."

His mouth makes an 'o' formation -- he still feels a bit sluggish, but he gives a slow nod.

"You have my thanks anyway."

"Mmhm."

It was strange to be around her considering the circumstances from where they met, but Kurapika has been through worse. He's not one for much conversation these days, and judging by her trance-like gaze, she seems like she'd be out of it too. Still, he pushes for more information, if only a little.