Choices

5 years ago (at the age of 14)...

You awoke to your small cold room. The walls were bare and grey, and the floor was concrete of the same colour as the walls. The small futon you slept in had seen some better days and had become too small for your growing body. Old used toys scattered across the room, long forgotten, many of them broken and torn. Just like the dull walls and floor, your clothes were a faded grey with no life to them. The familiarity was somewhat comforting until you looked to the wall on your right, a mirror covering the whole wall. Yet, there was something that unsettled you far more. The one thing that you hated most was the large metal door. Since it was the only door in that room, it was also the only way out. Despite that, what lay on the other side was something you despised with your whole being.

And as if reading your thoughts, the door unlocked and began to open.

Present time, in the early morning...

You finally awoke to the noise of movement startling you and causing you to sit upright too fast, resulting in pain. "Now, now it's only me," you hear a familiar yet annoying voice call out: as you look to your right to see Dazai sitting down, reading the same book he had last time. Complete Guide To Suicide, it read.

"What the hell am I doing here!?" you ask him, eyes narrowing and your frown growing as you glare at him. Your memory was hazy of last night's events: you remember the burning building and the screaming, yet after that...nothing.

"I have some questions for you, Kitten," he tells you, not moving his eyes from his strange book. You try to read his expressions yet fail to do so: in the process, you become much more aware of your own expressions of hatred and anger.

"And why should I answer said questions?"

"Well...I did save you,"

"What!?"

"Care to answer them now?" he asks, looking at you now with a grin on his face. An expression that irritates you, as it meant he was up to something.

"Fuck off, I'm leaving," you state, as you try to get up yet failing, and fall back onto the floor, resulting in him chuckling at you. You hear him move closer to you, and now his face is above yours, smirking, yet there was no emotion in his eyes: it seems there was no escape when it came to him. You hated the weakness: you were vulnerable due to your lack of martial arts. You thought it was pathetic: you had come to depend on your ability so much, yet in front of this man, it all meant nothing.

"Aww, looks like you can't go yet," he states, chuckling a little as if mocking your weak state. "Now, how is it that you have Corruption just like the Slug?" he asks, not moving, his face still looming over you, as you are forced to stay lying in the futon.

"And what makes you think that I would know?" you ask, frowning at him again. "Oh, and torture doesn't work on me, what a shame for you," you tell him, trying to taunt him back. However, it seems the taunt fails as he seems unfazed by it.

As soon as the words leave your mouth, you start to feel his fingers wrap around your neck softly. "Are you sure about that, Kitten?" he simply asks. Yet you look at him with an expressionless face, and in response, he sighs, releasing his hand from your neck. "Has anyone told you, what beautiful eyes you have, Kitten?" he asks, and in response, you give him glares like nothing before. The nickname was losing its effect on you, yet the statement about your eyes brought on a wave of new anger: that was far stronger than you've shown him before.

Yet you know you're only giving in to his taunts, giving him the response he loves so much from you.

He stands up, stretching along the way, looking back at you on the floor, "What is your true ability?" he asks, with the same blank expression returning. "Now it wouldn't happen to be Copycat, now would it?" he then adds.