Junk

Today is the day.

What day, you ask?

Testing day.

It had been a month or so since Queen had taken you in. She gave you a room, filled it with your favorite useless junk, fed you, kept you clothed, anything you could possibly want, in exchange for your "determination", she called it.

With it, she wanted you to open a dark fountain.

And you had no qualms with it. Really, how bad could it be? Queen may be eccentric, but she was friendly, and you figured it really wouldn't be that bad to live in Cyber City forever. Everything was bright and shiny and beautiful, gleaming with neon lights and hologram billboards. You hadn't made many friends, but Queen promised that, with a dark fountain, both Lightners and Darkners could live together fully, and you could have as many friends as you wanted.

You liked that.

The problem was, you just couldn't do it.

You had stabbed the ground with pens, knives, swords, glasses of acid, Queen's leg, chopsticks, anything and everything. It never did anything. Zip. Zero.

A month of this.

It wasn't that she was mad at you, but it was more that she was starting to shift her calculations. Occasionally, the numbers flashed across her eyes. You knew the likelihood of you being useful to her was shrinking. 

Supposedly, she's set up a machine that will help to solve the issue.

And so, here you are, waiting in your room for someone to call you out. You stare at the floor absently, thoughts spinning like a Maus in a wheel.

"Yoo-Hoo" One of the walls in your room suddenly fills with her face, and she waves her hands excitedly.

It looks like Queen herself would be to one to do it.

"Lightner It Is Time To Test Your Determination" She grins benevolently, making a shooing motion with her hand.

"Please Leave Your Customized Room There Is A Swatchling There To Bring You Here" The screen blinks off, leaving you alone again.

Until she kicks in the door, which explodes off its hinges. Literally. Your room is now on fire.

"Just Kidding It Was Me"

Without giving you a moment to think, she picks you up and strides out of the room, leaving you spluttering.

"Queen, what-"

"Hush"

She pauses outside of your room for just a moment, watching the flames consuming your room. From nowhere, a glass of acid appears in her hand. She tosses it down her throat, then throws the glass into the flames. It turns the fire a bright shade of acid-green.

You blink rapidly. What The Actual Hell.

"Worry Not, That Was My Burning Glass"

You squint up at her.

"It Requires Absolute Silence To Burn"

She laughs regally at your confusion and bewilderment, then turns and carries you off.

~~~

You watch the doors pass from under Queen's arm. This hallway of homes was one of the reasons you found yourself so willing to help Queen in her quest for a fountain. She seemed to care so deeply about everyone- even if they weren't planned fully in terms of getting in and out, each room was customized for a specific person, just as yours is. Well, was. At the very least, it would all be replaceable, based on her neverending resources.