Crooked

While ranting at you about fighting a magic user without magic, Noelle heals your wounds. You laugh and talk it all through as she works, both soothing your hurts and your misdirected rage. After all, Noelle is only a child, and one you want to protect at that. It was never truly about her.

"-Gosh, I know I should be angry- and don't get me wrong, I am!! Why would you say yes to fighting me!!- but um, your fire magic was really cool! Next time we train together, I think it'll be a lot more fun, since I'll have to take the heat in mind... Minor spells probably won't work as well, and I might have to amp up the cold... I've never done that before..." She trails off, muttering to herself. 

"I can't guarantee I can do it again, snowball. Don't worry so much about it. All I've got for sure are my clumsy hands, and those obviously aren't really a threat for you." You smile at her, letting the ache of your muscles melt away as the magic does its work.

"W-well, they were very scary!! You made it very hard to focus!" 

"Is that a good thing?"

"Well, yes! I mean, I have to think hard to control the ice! Even just breaking my focus can mess that up, and that'd make me useless in a real fight! I, um, obviously have a lot to work on..."

"Noelle, are you kidding?" You look at her in shock. "You were amazing! Setting up walls the way you did really accounts for that weakness, right? And even when it doesn't, you reacted very quickly to my attacks! You'd be an amazing ally to have!"

"You really think so?" She smiles, but it's hesitant and uncertain.

"Of course I do! If you actually wanted to hurt me, I'd be terrified!"

"Pfft, I would never! Magic to me isn't for hurting others. I um, I guess I just... like having magic? It's fun, and it feels good, and it means I can protect myself if someone else wants to hurt me..." 

You smile brightly. You don't have the words to express the warmth you feel for that remark.

It ends in a shiver, though, as the cold of the room finally starts to get to you.

"Oh, right! Um, let's get out of here! Don't worry, I know the way."

Noelle leads you out of the ice maze. She's sure of her path in a way that strikes your curiosity. As the shimmering blue walls pass and you turn corner after corner, you decide to just ask.

"How do you know the way?"

"Oh! I guess I can just, um, feel it? The ice, I mean. It just feels like... it's a part of me?..." She smiles sheepishly, but her eyes are wide and adoring. "You notice a lot, don't you..."

"In a good way?"

"Yeah, in a good way."

She giggles. As the conversation dies, you find yourself in a comfortable silence until you finally reach the exit. 

The moment you're out, you find yourself with an audience.

Swatchlings are already working on breaking down the ice, but they pay you no mind. No, it's the familiar pink man leaning against a pillar that catches you off guard. On seeing that he's caught your eye, Zinton waves at you and smiles. 

You can't help but feel as though he's got something up his sleeve.

"Hello, Y/N. I was wondering if we could have a talk," he says, sauntering up to you.

"Oh, is this your friend? I can go," Noelle offers.

"That'd be quite appreciated-"

"No." You stop Noelle by the shoulder. "Whatever he has to say, you can hear, too."