Protagonist

Leaving the Trash Zone behind you as quickly as possible, you try to find your way to the city. 

Looking at Spamton's macaron makes your stomach growl. Sparring and running errands certainly haven't helped your case. You're grateful that Newton left some extra money on his card, because you're eager to make a lunch stop. 

The transition from dim alleys to overwhelming lights and bustling streets is quicker than you expect. One minute, you're boxed in by brick walls, and the next, you're dumped out on a wide street that spreads almost dizzyingly wide in comparison. Colorful lights flash from screens on buildings, in windows, on duck-legged cars, even on people. The onslaught of input hits you differently now that you're all alone. At least with Spamton, you had a focal point, and someone to guide you... Now, it takes you longer to orient yourself.

But eventually, you manage. Catching sight of an ad for some sort of sandwich, you join the flow of foot-traffic and make your way there. You have to cross the street to get there, and you're coming up on the crosswalk when you spot a blue wire snaking out from a lamp post. It's unplugged, waving its head from side to side as if eyeing the crowd.

...No, it's not waving. It's adjusting its position. You only understand when you see it shudder, lock into position, and then lunge into the crowd. Pedestrians scream and scatter as the plug pushes into a struggling pink Darkner's face- The same kind of Darkner you saw get targeted at the party- And it comes as no surprise when you see those small pink stubs of arms stretch out into monstrously long rainbows. Wiry fur bursts out of its body in a way that should be horrifying, and to most of the crowd is, but you've seen this before.

You aren't scared of the transformation anymore. You know this type of monster now, and you know you can unplug it in a heartbeat.

You're pushing through the crowd, trying to get close enough to tug off that wire, when you hear a shrill shout.

"MAKE WAY, PLEBS!" 

Berdly, the Lightner boy, breaks through the crowd in a flash, wielding a massive glowing halberd. He grins fearlessly as the transformed Darkner growls at him. 

"YOUR REIGN OF TERROR ENDS HERE, FIEND!" He crows, short orange cape rippling triumphantly behind him.

The rainbow Darkner whips its head towards him, fluffy ears laid back aggressively. It raises its  arms and points them at Berdly, firing a laser from each of six claws.

He dodges with ease. He laughs haughtily, grin smug as ever, and raises his halberd. It transforms into a spear in his feathered hands, and he lines it up at his shoulder like a rifle- And same as a rifle, pointed blasts of energy fire off from the head, lancing toward the Darkner.

It screeches with the sound of a popped electrical socket, a shudder rippling across its wiry fur.

Berdly's nothing but smiles as he rips into this innocent Darkner. He must have no idea of what he's doing, to attack the body and not the wire... And at this rate, he'll kill the poor thing-!

"BERDLY!" You shout over the din of battle, trying to get his attention. "BERDLY, YOU HAVE TO-"

A slender hand clamps over your mouth from behind, muffling you.

"He has to what, Lightner dearest? Listen to you?" Zinton purrs in your ear, his breath hot on your neck. 

You cry out viciously, wriggling and fighting his grip. You snap your teeth, trying to catch his palm between them, but he keeps his pink skin just out of your reach.

"Oh, come on now. You're making a scene!" He hums pleasantly, but when he leans into your ear, his voice drips with venom. "And I wouldn't do that if I were you."